CHAPTER 28

"Leave me alone!” Nathan screamed as the other boys in his class cornered him.

“Mummy’s little boy”, Scott, his former best friend mocked him and everyone in the group laughed.

“Let’s see how you’re going to come to school again, when your mama goes to prison” Chidi said. And once again, they laughed as though they were hearing those lines for the first time.

Nathan was one of the students in their school whose tuition fees were being paid by Kimberly Jacobs Foundation. Since the day Kim was arrested and declared a person of interest in the murder of her husband, fates turned upside down for the students whose bills she paid as everyone began mocking and taunting them.

Your mama is gonna die, let’s see how you survive.

When your mama dies, I wonder if your tongue will still be talking this fast.

“Leave me!” Nathan screamed again. The other six boys laughed, gave themselves hi-five as they walked away.

“If you lick my feet, Nathan. Maybe, I’ll pay your fees!” Chidi screamed and Nathan kept hearing the echo of their laughter in his mind even after the boys were miles away from him.

****
The trial of the state of Anambra vs Kim Jacobs Harrison for the murder of her husband, Mr Richard Harrison.

“Mrs Meryl Maina, why are you here?” Jean asked.

“I’m here to…”

“To make sure justice is passed or to ensure that you don’t get deported?” Jean asked.

Meryl’s hands shivered.

“Weren’t you promised a chance to remain in Nigeria if you testified against my client?” Jean asked.

“Yes but…”

“Did you not have a fight with my client who happens to be your employer on the first of last month over your salary?”

“Yes but…”

Jean walked away, saying, “I would like this court to keep in mind that whatever Mrs Meryl Maina has to say are simply the words of a disgruntled employee and an immigrant desperate to remain in this country by all means”.

****
“Mrs. Meryl Maina, thanks for coming. Please disregard whatever anyone has said to you and help this court obtain justice for Mr Harrison” Jasmine said.

“Can you please tell us where you were on the eleventh of July, 2016 at 10:45pm?”

“Mrs Kimberly Harrison’s house”

“Why were you there? I thought Mrs Harrison sent the entire staff home that night?” Jasmine asked.

“I forgot my son’s sketch book”.

“Couldn’t have you waited till the following day to get the book?” Jasmine asked.

“No. He wanted to show his drawings to someone else that weekend before he submits it on Monday” Meryl said.

“So, where in Mrs. Harrison’s compound did you leave the book?”

“At the guests’ section”.

“And who stayed there?”

“Mr Richard”

“What was your duty in the guest section?”

“I cleaned the rooms” Meryl said.

“So, when you entered the compound at 10:45pm, you headed straight for the guests’ section?” Jasmine asked.