CHAPTER 4

The following happened between 2am and 3am

Connor stared at the board he had filled with notes. He had an excellent record with the police force. Seventy percent of the cases he was assigned to, he solved and conquered it, finding the perpetrators of the crime. So, this would not be different.

His mind was set on being a police commissioner someday. And maintaining his excellence especially in a high profile case like this, would boost his career.

He picked up his marker and hit his lips with it. In ninety percent of homicide cases, when a woman died, her husband or lover was responsible. And when a man died, his wife often was.

Could Richard’s death be different? Jasmine was a hater but, her instincts were usually right.

Richard’s neighbours are claiming that Richard was a good man. Too good to people for anyone to desire to kill him.

He would have suspected a business associate of the Harrisons because of the kind of money Kim owned, but Richard didn’t work at Kim’s family’s company. Richard had his own art gallery.

Perhaps, his wife offended a business associate who decided to take out Richard. Or was it for the famous reason most people did bad things? Money.

He paced around his room, pinching the bridge of his nose. Was it for money? Did Richard insure his life?

Did someone need that insurance money? If so, Kim and her daughter would likely be the ones to get it. No doubt, if Richard had insured his life, the money his inheritor would receive will be much yet, no matter the amount, Kim Jacobs alone without adding her inheritance and chains of businesses was by far worth more than what any insurance company could pay her.

Was it a mistress? Or money once again? What could be the motive of the killer? He covered his face and sat on a chair.

Richard was murdered in his home. There was no sign of forced entry hence, it means that Richard opened the door for his murderer because he knew whomever that person was.

Was it a woman he brought home? Or did Kim come back home to kill him after dropping their daughter for the sleepover? Or was Richard abusing their daughter and so, Kim decided to kill him? Situations like that have happened before. Could it be it now?

He stood up, walked to the board. And wrote on a blank sheet that was pinned to it. Motive. And thought. Oh killer, where are thou?

****

The person knelt down in front of the priest.

So much wrong I’ve done. I’m so filthy and sinful. “I should never come” The person said and started standing up to leave the confessional.

The priest held the penitent’s hands.

Then, the person’s voice trembling with emotion said, “Bless me Father, for I’ve sinned”.

“It has been six weeks since my last confession”.

“And I confess that I killed Richard Harrison. For he was my…"

****
Did you like the chapter? If yes, please VOTE or COMMENT ❤ .