CHAPTER 29

Connor covered his face. He wanted to cry. He has seen Kim sleepwalk once during their relationship and that was after her abortion.

At first, he didn’t know she was sleepwalking, so he tried to lead her back to the bed since the doctor said she needed plenty of rest.

Then suddenly as he touched Kim, she punched him so hard that his jaw almost fell off.

And she looked at him, but the funny thing was that, she wasn’t really looking at him. Like Meryl said, it was as if he wasn’t there. At that moment, he realised that she was a sleepwalker.

The painful thing here was that, he remembered Kim telling him earlier that if he didn’t talk to her after the third day they came back from the hospital, that she would punch him.

****
Fr. Mark recited the ‘Hail Mary’ inaudibly for the tenth time and closed his eyes.

Mother Mary, please show her your mercy.

His faith was wavering. He was finding it hard to believe that God could make a way for Kim when it all seemed impossible to him.

Sleepwalking was not an excuse for murder in Nigeria. A sleepwalker got the same sentence with another person who deliberately committed the same crime they were found guilty of.

Some African judges even viewed sleepwalking as another form of witchcraft. Only witches and demons, according to African folklores, should be active at nights.

Mary help of all Christians. Pray for us.

All the angels and saints in heaven. Pray for us.

Unto Kim, O Lord, show thy unfailing mercy.

****
Nathan arrived at the courthouse. He was here to see the face of the woman who had helped him all these years. He was an orphan and lived with his grandparents who were almost as good as dead.

His parents died when he was seven and that meant, that for the last seven years, the saviour of his education and dreams, has been Kim Jacobs Harrison.

He walked towards the building, people filled every corner of it but, a particular name rang on every lip. Kim Harrison.

Everyone was so sure that she was guilty of the crime, he might as well thank her for everything she’s done for him before she loses her life.

****
“How come I never knew that you sleepwalked?” Jean asked angrily.

“I didn’t think-” Kim stammered.

“You didn’t think what? That it was necessary?”

“I take medication for it” Kim said.

“How often?”

“When I feel stressed” Kim answered.

Jean took a deep breath, sat down and held Kim’s hands, “Tell me, Kim” She said, “While sleepwalking, there are other dangerous things you’ve done, right?”

*****
Thanks for reading! PLEASE COMMENT!!!