CHAPTER 48

Kim stepped on her accelerator.
Boom. And the glass of her backseat window broke.

This gunman or woman was not a professional marksperson else, she would have been dead by now.

She released her hand from Angel’s. She and her daughter’s lives were in danger. So, she was going to put all her energy into saving them both. She turned the vehicle, driving faster and faster. Her pursuer was on her heels.

She took more turns, speeding like a wild dog. Still, the pursuer’s car followed like a shadow.

“Mummy. I’m scared” Angel cried.

“It’s a game, dear. Don’t be scared” Kim said, faked a grin. “Who loves you most in the whole wide world?” Kim asked.

“Mummy” Angel said.

“So, fear not, mummy is here” Kim said.

Is it wise to turn off the headlights? Kim thought. Her bright light was probably the reason the person chasing her could spot her easily no matter the number of turns she took on the lonely road.

She turned off the front, back headlights, and left only the light in the car on. She had no phone with her else she would have called someone, maybe the police or Fr. Mark to come save them. She took more turns and kept exceeding any speed she maintained for minutes. She branched into a narrow road. It was rocky. But, she kept going.

After a while, she stopped. She was sweating. Sweating profusely. Beads of sweat lined her forehead. And terror lodged in her throat. She listened. Listened carefully and she didn’t hear the sound of any other vehicle again.

“Mummy…”

“It’s alright, dear” Kim kissed Angel’s forehead and opened her car door.
Angel opened hers too.

“Remain seated, darling” Kim said “Let me check”.

Kim stepped down from the car and closed the door. She moved away from it and looked down the dark path she had driven.              

No headlights, so, no car.

Her adrenal glands relaxed. She escaped Connor. At last, she and her Angel were safe for…

“Mummy!” Angel shrieked.

Kim turned towards her car. And heard it fall down the cliff. “Hah!”

She parked the car at the edge of a cliff!

With haste, she ran and stood at the edge of the cliff and heard the sound of the car as it somersaulted multiple times. Then suddenly, she saw fire. The car lit up. Burning.

Her Angel was burning.

She stepped backwards. Angel is in that car.

Her head started spinning like a rollercoaster. Her eyes were about to fall. What did I just see?

She trembled as she tried to fight off the horror that was starting to engulf her.

She looked down the cliff again.

Burning fire.

Angel. My one and only child. 

From the depths of her soul, “Angel!” She screamed.

And like a broken twig, she fell on the ground.

And fainted.

****
If you are enjoying this story, PLEASE, VOTE & kindly ADD it to your reading lists!!

****If you are enjoying this story, PLEASE, VOTE & kindly ADD it to your reading lists!!