CHAPTER 53

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Silvia asked.

Kim nodded “How can I have a daughter and not remember her” Kim said. “I don’t know what she looks like. I don’t know her age. What type of mother am I?”

“You shouldn’t beat yourself up, Kim. If I experienced the shock that you had, I would most likely also be in your shoes” Silvia said. “This could happen to anybody” Silvia added.

“Thank you” Kim replied, feeling better. “I hope it works. I just want to know what happened to my mother and my daughter” Kim paused, “I’ve to find her, if she’s still out there” Kim added.

Silvia patted her shoulder and smiled “things will be fine soon”.

The room was quiet. Silvia told the others not to disturb them or intrude until either of them came out of Kim’s home office. Kim rested her back on the recliner and faced the candle stand that was placed in front of her. A burning candle was on it.

“Focus on the light” Silvia said slowly and in a soothing voice.

It was Kim’s first time of being hypnotised.

Silvia continued gently “your eyes may feel heavy and want to close. Let it. Also, let your body sink naturally down as your muscles relax” Silvia paused “Listen to your body and my voice as you begin to feel calm”.

Silvia waited as Kim felt her body become light. And feel a oneness with the deepest part of her.

“What’s your name?” Silvia asked.

“Kimberly Jacobs” Kim said.

“No” Silvia said. “I mean, what’s your real name?”

“Mimi” Kim said “Mimi Fredrick”.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. My name is Mimi Fredrick”.

Silvia waited. Kim’s eyes remaining closed, as she looked relaxed. “Mimi, do you remember your mum?”

Kim hesitated, then said, “I don’t want to remember”.

“Why?”

“Good and bad time” Kim said.  

“Tell me about the good time” Silvia said.

A smile appeared on Kim’s face, “mama and I were happy. We were the only mother and child who could go fishing without asking for aid from the men”.

“Mama loved to sew pretty clothes for me and other girls in the town. She made my hair and sang lovely songs to wake me up and put me to sleep” Kim continued speaking as though she was having a dream and was narrating what she was seeing.

“You had a wonderful time, Mimi” Silvia said.

“Thank you” Kim said, giggling like a child.

“Can you tell me about the bad time?” Silvia said.

Kim shook her head. Her smile, disappearing “I don’t want to”.

“Your mum loved you, Mimi. Don’t you think it’s wrong not to recall how your mum was hurt and who hurt her?” “Or did you hurt your…?”

“No” Kim answered “I loved her” Kim said as a tear slid from her eyes.

“I would never hurt mummy” Kim said, “I wanted to save her. I was scared”.

“Can you recollect what happened the day your mum was hurt?” Silvia said and had to wait for a long while. Soon, she expected Kim not to reply at all.

“Yes” Kim said. “It was at night in mama’s sewing room”.

“Was it then that someone hurt her?”
Kim nodded. “He shot mama and placed the gun in my hand. He wiped the gun. Wore a hand glove and wrapped my fingers round the gun” Kim cried. “He told mummy that if I didn’t hold the gun, he’ll shoot me too. He said all he wanted was to make it look as if I killed her thus, no one would bother investigating. So, Mummy begged me. She didn’t want me to die. He put the gun in my hands and pulled the trigger”.

More tears wet her cheeks. “Mummy called my name and said she loves me” She repeated.

Silvia and Kim both kept quiet as if they had inwardly agreed not to talk but observe a moment of silence for the dearly departed.

“What else do you remember from that night?” Silvia asked.

Kim did not respond.

“The chair?” Silvia asked and continued “Your mum’s hairstyle? The house where you lived? Or the man who shot…?”

“The man” Kim interrupted.
Silvia nodded. “Tell me, what you remember about this man”.

“I know him” Kim said “He was just a boy in his late teens or early twenties at that time” Kim answered.

If you see that boy today, will you recognize him?” Silvia asked.

Kim paused and said “yes”.

“After all these years?”

“Yes” Kim said confidently. “He killed mama. How can I ever forget him?”

But you did. Silvia thought. The trauma of the incident made your grieving mind want to forget all about the mom you lost.

“So, tell me why, you are so sure that you’ll recognize him” Silvia said.

As Kim paused again, And responded later in a quivering voice, “because I know him. And I still saw him today”.