CHAPTER 40

"Who did this?” Barry Gabriel, the prison warden asked.

Kim’s face was swollen, red and distasteful. Her arm was in a cast. She had returned from the prison clinic and was now in Barry’s office.

“Who did this?” Barry asked again.

Kim did not reply. She had learned a hard lesson in one day. In prison, no one could protect you. Not even the power of the president could save you from being killed there, unless he granted you official pardon. Apart from that, the prison was a different world governed by a different leader and government. It was those leaders you need to fear or pay homage to. Reporting them was like asking for the wrath of a god to befall you.

“Kimberly” Barry called.

Kim maintained her silence for a long while and then said, “I didn’t see their faces”.

He looked at her suspiciously. “You were attacked when there was light” He said.

“I can’t explain it” Kim shrugged. “The lights went off” She said. Her swollen cheeks hurt and her big red eyes were biting her like acupuncture needles. “One moment, I was sitting down, then light suddenly went off. I think, someone turned off the switch. But at that second, I felt pain on all sides of my body and the next thing I knew, I woke up in the clinic” she said.

Minutes later, after not getting a word out of her, Barry let her go. As she stepped out of the office, she saw one of the women in Queen B’s gang standing and talking with Barry’s secretary. She was pretending to be engrossed with the secretary but Kim had a feeling that they had been eavesdropping on her and Barry.

There was a rule in prison - after failing to heed a warning, the next thing that should come for such an individual is death. Fatal accidents, that no one can explain. She has been warned. So, what was next?

Did she pass her test with Barry? Or did she fail?

she turned back again and looked at the secretary’s table, Queen B’s “lady” was staring daggers at her.

Oh God. What was coming next?

******
Kim sat in her cell room. And waited patiently.

Fr. Mark’s “insider” was supposed to see her this night.

“Lights out!” A voice from a loudspeaker announced.

Wasn’t Fr. Mark’s insider coming again?

Her heart thudded.

She was finally leaving this hellhole. She made that decision hours ago. Although, she once agreed with Fr. Mark that she had to escape but at that time her mind was not made up. Not as made up as it was now. For she had to leave before someone murdered her in here.

“Hey” a voice whispered from the dark.

Kim’s ribcage trembled, “Who are…?”

“What’s your answer?” the insider asked.

You could get killed! Her mind suddenly yelled. Don’t do it.

If you’re caught, you could be killed at that spot.

Another part of her mind fired. Remaining here won’t keep you alive either. Remember, if you escape and survive, you’ll see Angel.

“What’s your answer?” The insider asked her again.

And this time, Kim did not hesitate. From the floor of her cell where she sat in the darkness, she responded, “yes”.

I’m going to escape even if I die trying.