CHAPTER 3

The following happened between 1am and 2am.

Inspector Jasmine parked her car and came down while Inspector Connor Dikeh walked from the guest section of Kim Harrison’s compound that had been sealed off for the murder case and met her.

“This case is mine” Jasmine said.

“Congrats” He replied sarcastically.

Jasmine smirked “You take losing so sweetly”.

He ignored her comment.

“Come on. Let’s go see the widow” She said.

They reached the door of the main building, a mansion that was a bit far from the guest section and knocked. Two seconds later, Kim Harrison’s housekeeper, Jerry Maina opened the door. And Jasmine and Connor entered. A minute later, Jasmine, Connor and Jerry were in a vast living room.

“Where is your boss?” Jasmine asked.

“She’ll be here soon” Jerry bowed and walked away.

They were probably expecting our visit. Jasmine thought. She put her hands on waist and looked around the room. Thank the stars that she didn’t believe in God else she would think that she had died and gone to heaven.

Her eyes went to the expensive furniture, TV and chandelier. The paint on the wall. The cost spent in decorating this room was without doubt, far more than what she earned in a year. She shook her head. The wealth of Kim Jacobs Harrison. A woman who had everything passed down to her, and before she was born, already had a secured future. Most likely, over thirty million naira shares was already in her name while she was still in her mother’s womb. Jasmine hissed.

Women like Kim Jacobs expected everyone they met to treat them like diamonds, as they carried their shoulders high like goddesses to be worshipped. Well, she couldn’t wait to at last meet one of the most famous heiresses in the country.

As though someone heard Jasmine’s thought, a door opened upstairs and out stepped, one of the most beautiful women Jasmine had ever met, dressed in a long plain gown.

She had never met Kim Harrison and had never been anxious to see a photo of her and know what she looked like, however at that moment, she had no doubt that the woman who stood less than a hundred yards away from her was the one the media often talked about and that the poor sang praises for.

From the things Jasmine had heard, Mrs Harrison was thirty-one, nonetheless she looked like a lady in her early twenties. It was the way she carried herself and walked down the stairs like a royal that passed a message that she was matured.

Jasmine wasn’t the type to ever admit that another woman looked more attractive than her but at this point, she had to say that even from the distance Mrs Harrison stood, her beauty was the type that would outshine thousands in a gathering. She had the high cheekbones of a model and almond shaped brown eyes. Dark full hair. And her figure was the kind that would make her fellow females envious, and the males fantasize.

Jasmine turned and looked at Connor. He was also staring at Mrs Harrison. She wasn’t surprised. Any man would take an extra look at the first sight of her.

Jasmine’s eyes returned to Mrs Harrison. The widow’s eyes were on Connor. She looked back at Connor. Then, at Mrs Harrison again. Have they met before?

The way they stared at each other, it was…different. It wasn’t the look you gave someone you were meeting for the very first time. Was it hatred she could see burning in Connor’s eyes? Or was he attracted to Kim Harrison?