CHAPTER 2

NEXT DAY. SATURDAY, JULY 12, 2014.

The following happened between 12am and 1am

The police are on the way. Meryl Maina thought as she removed the blood-stained dress from the laundry bag.

I’ve to hurry. The police will be here soon.

She was a Nigerien who together with her husband and children resided in Nigeria illegally. I shouldn’t have called the police but I was so afraid. So scared that she assumed that whomever killed Mr Richard Harrison must have also killed his wife, her Madam and he may still be in the compound. Hence, she called them out of fear.

Quickly, she put the bloodied cloth in a black trash bag and tied it. If she had known that her madam, Kim Harrison was alive and well, she would have kept quiet and not contacted the police. But now, if anything went wrong, her madam would be in trouble and she herself would not lose only her job but, get discovered as an illegal immigrant and deported back home with her husband and four children empty handed.

She was well paid here. Her madam was wealthy. And so, her needs and that of her kids were taken care of, for that reason, she couldn’t afford to lose her source of income. Her madam.

Mr Richard’s soul would have to forgive her as she would never reveal what she knew. The dead were dead. The living have to do everything they could to survive. Just like she was doing right now. Protecting her madam and cleaning the drops of blood on the floor of Kim Harrison’s room.

I’ve to protect her at all costs. Meryl concluded.

****

“I want the case” Inspector Jasmine Kolawole said as she walked into the office of the State commissioner for police.

CP Chibuike Kanayo stood up. “How did you know I’ll still be in here?”

Jasmine shrugged. “I want the case” she repeated and shut the door.

“Connor is already headed for the crime scene” he said.

“So?”

He lifted his briefcase, placed it on his desk “the case is for him”.

“Why? Because he’s a man?” She stepped closer. “I can do better than him” she added.

“He’s smarter, Admit it” Chibuike said and locked his briefcase.

She hated that word. Smarter. What was it that made everyone think that Connor was better than her, “I need this…”

He interrupted, taking his car keys “no matter what you say, I won’t give it to…”

His words ceased. As he watched Jasmine unfasten the buttons of her shirt. She unhooked her bra. And her ripe juicy breasts were revealed. Large brown enticing nipples stood on areolas and called to him. He swallowed. His eyes enlarged. And his dick was obviously enjoying the show before him.

She was a desperate woman, ready to step higher in the police force. And handling this high profile case of Richard Harrison’s murder was one step towards realizing her ambition. Her hands went to the zip of her trousers. She pulled it down. Her hairless smooth privates appeared. Beaming, she said “What were you saying?”

****

“RICHARD HARRISON IS DEAD” The reporter announced.

“Twenty nine years old husband of business tycoon and architect, Kim Jacobs Harrison was found dead this morning. Our informant tells us that he died from multiple stab wounds on the night his wife gave their home staff an off-duty night thus, the only person he was home with is his thirty one years old wife and mother of his child, Angel Harrison. There was no sign of forced entry so…”

Fr. Mark Ohaji turned off the TV.

What was this reporter insinuating? He died from multiple stab wounds on the night his wife gave their home staff an off-duty night.

The only person he was home with is his thirty-one years old wife.

What did he mean? That Kim was an eye witness? Or a suspect in the murder of her husband?

Shame on reporters. Fr. Mark thought. Their only aim in life was to deliver ground breaking news not minding whether someone’s feelings or career or family would be destroyed by such devastating reports or rumours.

Kim and Richard Harrison together with their seven year old, Angel were members of his congregation at Saint Albert Catholic Church, Highland. He has been their priest for almost six years now and have been in the priesthood for than two decades. And in all that time, the Harrisons were one of the few rich people he ever met who believed in God. And realised that the source of their wealth was not by their strength but by the grace and mercy of God.

Also, they were the biggest financial donors in his church and in the last years he had spent knowing them, he could boldly say that he knew each member of that family so well. Well enough to say that Kim Harrison should be left alone to mourn the loss of her husband without anyone trying to suspect her of murder, even though he was certain of one fact: that woman never loved Richard. Kim Harrison never for once loved her husband.

=======
Dedicated to lolahsadeeq Thanks so much for being the first to add this story to your reading list ❤