CHAPTER 60

Connor helped Kim step down from the car.

“Why is everywhere so dark?” Kim said.

Connor shrugged. Turned on his flash light and helped her walk to the mansion.

He opened the door and he and Kim entered.

The room was dark. Darker than a shadow. “Why is it…?”

And suddenly, bright light came on and filled the room.

WELCOME HOME, KIM!!!

And then, claps rented the air. Barry, Silvia, Natalie, Nathan, Seb, Aidan and many of her employees and friends stood cheering at her.

“Welcome Home, Kim Jacobs!” they chorused.

And Kim’s heart almost broke.

Who could have thought that she would ever celebrate with her friends again? Who could have imagined that a moment would come when she would be Kim Jacobs again, and not be referred to as a murderess? Was it when the death sentence was passed?

Or was it after her sentence was dismissed and yet the media still painted her, a killer? It all seemed like a fairy tale now. So hard to believe. Incredibly, this day was also her birthday. And she was reminded of that, as everyone began to sing the famous birthday song.

“Hip! Hip! Hip!”

“Hurray!”

“Hip! Hip! Hip!”

“Hurray!”

She was now thirty-two. Perfect moment to give thanks. But, felt incomplete without her child. Without her daughter. She wiped her cheeks. And forced herself not to cry. She would shed her tears of pain when the guest were all gone and she was tucked in her bed.

A beautiful cake on a moving table was coming towards Kim. It was probably being controlled by a remote. The cake and the dressed table stopped in front of her.

The room quietened.

She smiled. “Thanks” she said to the crowd.

Where was the knife to cut the cake?

The crowd began to chant “K-I-M”.

The damn cake exploded. Like a bomb. Boom. Kim shrieked. And the guests burst into laughter.

Kim’s eyes bulged. In shock. In surprise. In endless joy.

Grinning like a little hellion that escaped from a crack in hell, Angel stood in front of her.

“Mummy!” Angel screamed in delight and jumped on Kim.

Kim’s heart nearly escaped from her thoracic cage. How did Angel Survive? How was she here? Kim thought but held on to her tightly.

After Kim’s car fell off the cliff, Angel got thrown out of the car but held unto a branch that stretched from a plant below the cliff. A couple saw her later and saved her. Connor was the one who went searching the villages around the area of the cliff until he found her.

Connor put his arms around Kim and his daughter and smiled as every piece of his pain disintegrated and every bit of ice surrounding the glacier that was his heart melted and evaporated. For the first time in years, after his sister’s suicide his heart was bursting with true joy. He was where he was supposed to be. HOME.

With tears cascading down Kim’s cheeks, she looked at Angel and recalled how from the moment Richard died and she became a suspect in a capital punishment case, how she had always wondered, if I never see tomorrow, who’ll care for my baby but now, she had the answer to that question. She was not dying anytime soon and she would get to see not just tomorrow but many more tomorrows.   

And so, she said, “Angel, who loves you most in the whole wide world?”

Angel giggled, looking at Connor and replied, “Mummy and daddy”.

THE END.

THANKS FOR READING ‘A PSYCHOTIC KILLER? HOW TO GET AWAY!’

Lastly, PLEASE, if you enjoyed this story, VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE with a friend and ADD it to your reading lists.
Your support means so much to me. Thanks for everything!!!