CHAPTER 52

“Please, excuse me. Have you seen a little girl of about seven around here?” Connor asked.

The Tiv man he was speaking to, shook his head.

Connor thought of the last time he saw Angel, it was the day Kim’s death sentence was passed. Angel has been on braids. “The girl’s hair was plaited with…”

“Bro, stop disturbing. I saw no girl” the man responded.

******
“I feel tired” Kim said and dropped her spoon on her plate.

They were all seated on the dining table, eating.

“When you rest, you’ll feel a lot better” Jean said.

Kim nodded and stood up. She looked back at the people who happened to have supported her that day and shyly, she said, “it’s 10pm, since you’ve my loved ones, you might as well spend the night here. This place is too big for me to stay alone”. 

******
Kim turned and turned again on her bed as she saw a woman singing and holding a child. “Mimi, Mama loves you” The woman sang as the girl in her arms continued crying. “Mimi. Who loves you most in the whole wide world?” the woman asked.

“Mummy” The Mimi girl cried as her mum pecked her and put a stick of sweet in her mouth.

Then the image vanished, replaced by that of a vehicle at top speed. Another car was chasing it. Firing bullets at it.

“Mummy!” A different little girl cried.
At that point, the vehicle stopped. And a woman that looked like her came down leaving the little girl in the motor. She stepped away from the vehicle. Without warning, the car fell off the cliff. And was free-falling. She saw fire burning. And then, heard the loud scream from the mouth of her look-alike. “Angel!”

Kim kept screaming “Angel!” as she woke up.

Her bedroom light turned on. Kim was sweating laboriously. Her heart was beating, fast and furious. At her bedroom door, stood her family and friends, gaping at her.

She stared at them in return. They were hiding something from her. What was it? With fear in her heart, Kim said to them, “Mimi and Angel. Who are they?”