CHAPTER 5

The following happened between 3am and 4am

A car sped into the compound. Halted and the driver came down.

As if a group of terrorists were on his heels, Aidan Jacobs ran into his father’s home office. He was Kim’s cousin and his dad, Ethan was Kim’s late dad’s brother.

Aidan opened the door. Slammed it. And saw his older brother, Sebastian and his father, Ethan.

“Have you heard?” Aidan asked with excitement. He had driven all the way from his home to deliver this fantastic news face-to-face.

“What?” Ethan asked.

Aidan took in deep breaths. “Richard is dead” Aidan announced.

“Finally” Seb said.

As they all roared with laughter.

****
The cameras clicked.

“Thanks for coming” Chibuike, the commissioner for police said. He was holding a press conference in order to stop the incessant phone calls that his office was receiving. The press was hungry for news and the public was asking for justice. Behind him, stood his top inspectors – Jasmine Kolawole and Connor Dikeh.

“I can assure you that whoever killed Richard Harrison would not be spared by the law” Chibuike said.

“This is a new administration of government in the state. And on behalf of the governor, I can guarantee that the culprit no matter who he or she is, would be caught and made to face the death penalty just as the law decrees”.

****
“You are still staring at her picture” Jean Okoye said.

“I’m just looking at Richard. I’m so surprised, he’s dead” Arnold, Jean’s husband said as he looked at the image of Kim and Richard on the screen of the TV in their bedroom.

Jean frowned. She could tell when people were lying. Particularly, her husband.

She was a criminal lawyer. And was once a corporate lawyer but after a few years of practising, she went into the criminal aspect of the law which was more fun. Although, she still handled some corporate affairs but that was only for Kim. Being best friends with Kim meant she was used to Kim getting all the attention from the opposite sex whenever they walked together.

But, in her home, there were some things she couldn’t tolerate.

Like her husband whom she was about to seduce, gazing at Kim’s picture as if she were a queen that had just announced that there was room for suitors to start arriving.

She put her robe over her nightwear and tightened it. She was a beautiful woman. And knew she was attractive, in shape and looked better than many women who were even younger than her.

But the truth was, beside Kim her good looks could not hold a candle ‘cause trying to compete with Kim was like competing with the sun.

If anyone thought Jean was beautiful, they had to wait until they met Kim and their opinion would change. Just like her husband’s did. And now, he was among those fools who prayed to have a chance with Kim.

“Only God knows if you or Kim didn’t have something to with his death” Jean said. After all, it was no secret that Kim didn’t love Richard.

“What?” Arnold said, stood up from the bed, faced his wife and yelled,

“And only God knows if you didn’t kill your best friend’s husband just to fulfil your life-long dream to see her suffer!”