CHAPTER 12

The following happened between 10am and 11am

The doorbell rang. Ding. Ding. Kim gulped the last drop of her coffee and covered the flask where she put Angel’s tea so that she could drink it when she woke up.

The bell rang again. Who is that? She wondered. The police had left her property even though the guest house was still sealed. She unscrewed the cap of a bottle of water, drank the liquid and swallowed her medication.

It seemed as if she was not only forgetting things but she was now imagining them like that investigative report. It seemed so real. If it was, how then did it disappear? No other person apart from her and Angel were in the mansion currently. And Angel has been sleeping for hours now.

The doorbell started to ring loudly again when she opened the door.

Connor.

Her lips dropped open. He was still as handsome as ever. Seeing his face with the sun shining behind him made him look more handsome than he was nine hours ago when she saw him for the first time in almost eight years.

“Mrs Kimberly Harrison, may I ask you some questions?” He said with a stony expression that made him look like a gorgeous angry Lucifer.

Mrs Kimberly Harrison.

He had purposely said ‘Harrison’. Connor. She thought. He was a master at holding grudges and acting as if he didn’t know you, even though he was your first love.

“May I enter?” He asked.

She nodded, not finding her voice and waited for him to enter after which she closed the door.

“Can I offer you…?”

“Don’t worry, ma” He replied.

“You can sit” She said.

He sat down and pulled out a pen and jotter from his pocket. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to know where you were between 11 and 11:30pm yesterday” He said.

“In my bed” She answered.

“What time did you arrive home after dropping your daughter at her friend’s place?” He asked. “Before 10:30pm” She said after a long while.

“Are you sure, ma? ‘Cause I will still find out if you’re lying to me” He said “Around eleven pm” stressing each word he said, “Where were you? Can you prove you were nowhere near your guest quarters?” He asked harshly as if he thought she was hiding something “And can anyone support your claim?” He added.

“Connor. I didn’t kill him” She said quietly.

“I’m Inspector Connor, ma” He said. And looked at his jotter. “Was it after you dropped…?”

“I didn’t kill him!” She yelled. She was standing on her feet now, fuming and extremely ready to scream some more.

She could tolerate the female Inspector, Jasmine thinking that she was a suspect but she couldn’t take it from Connor. Their relationship may have ended miserably. Still, she knew there were certain things Connor could do and would never ever do.

“Mrs. Harrison, I didn’t say you killed…”

“It’s the same thing” She said. “You came back here again because you guess…”

“I’m not guessing! I know you can do it.” His voice rose.

And Kim nearly fled from her own sitting room.

“If you could kill your own child, who is to say that you can’t kill you husband”.

His voice lowered as he probably realized he was shouting. Connor never shouted. He had to be very very angry to do so. His icy eyes moved away from hers. “Please sit down, ma. I still have more questions” He said, his voice sounding calm.