CHAPTER 37

“Why are you here?” Ethan Jacobs asked.

Connor was seated in Ethan’s office with Seb, Aidan and Bridget.

“Someone here tried to kill Kim” Connor said.

“What?” Bridget said, appalled.  “Connor, that’s a strong accusation. How could we possibly harm our own relative?” she said.

Connor kept quiet. And waited.

Sebastian rolled a pen in his hand. “So, you’re now her guardian angel” Seb said.

Aidan giggled, “there are no jobs in the country. Not surprised if he chose to do this” Aidan said. They all came to know Connor the day Kim brought him to the office to introduce him to Hugo.

Connor said, “someone here stole Richard’s paintings and murdered  him” He paused “that same person attempted to kill Kim because he thinks she knows…”

“Eight years. And you’re still not over her” Ethan said.

Connor clenched his fist.

“She left you for this company” Ethan said “no matter how hard you try, you can never be her equal”.

Unless you’re both dead.

******
“So, you’re good at fixing cars” Connor said as he entered Jean and Arnold’s compound. Arnold came out from beneath his car that he was working on.

“Who’re you?” Arnold asked.

“Inspector Connor” Connor said and showed his ID.

Arnold nodded.

“You’re a good mechanic?” Connor asked.

“It’s just something I’m learning” Arnold replied.

How well have you learnt it? Connor thought. A person with mechanical skills won’t find it difficult to mess with an elevator or the brake of a car so as to make either of them result in a fatal accident or death.

“Arnold” Jean called from inside their house “who’s there?”

“A police Inspector.  Said his name is Connor” Arnold replied.

Jean came out of the house and walked towards Connor and her husband, wiping her hands with a towel “Inspector Connor. I’m not sure it’s nice to see you” she said.

Connor smiled, “don’t worry. I’ll be out of here soon”.

“A month ago” Connor said “you were about to lose your house”- because your husband took a loan from the bank to invest in a business he started which later failed – “what happened?” Connor asked.

“Who said such a thing?” Jean responded in shock. “Arnold, can you imagine?” she said.

Arnold’s hands that was holding a spanner began shaking and his left fingers were tapping his jeans. “Inspector. Where did you hear such lies?” Arnold said.

Richard’s expensive paintings got stolen. He later died and his paintings which were stolen are now in luxurious hotels. And all of a sudden, one of his friends settled the loan he owed after he and his wife were almost driven out of the home they used as collateral.

Coincidence? Connor thought. He didn’t believe in that shit.

******
“How did you get the money?” Jean asked.

“What money?” Arnold replied.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about!” Jean shouted. “How did you settle your loan from the bank?” She said.

Arnold faced his laptop and answered, “I once heard a tale of a friend who was jealous of her best friend that had everything. And you know what the jealous friend did?” Arnold shook his head painfully and continued, “When she thought no one was watching, she took a knife and killed her best friend’s husband”.

******
“Thank God. They let me see you today” Fr. Mark said.

Kim grinned “it’s because I work for the prison warden” she said.

“Oh! That’s nice. I thought you were never let out of your cell” He said.

Kim nodded “but since I started my work a few things have changed for me” she said and hurriedly added, “have you seen Inspector Connor?”

“Why are you asking?” Fr. Mark said.

“He’s helping me investigate certain things” she said.

Fr. Mark nodded and said “I and many charity organizations that you once assisted, have been writing letters to the governor to grant you...”

“I don’t want to hear it” Kim interrupted. She couldn’t let her hopes up, only for it to be crushed badly. She wiped her eyes. “How’s Angel?” she said.

Fr. Mark waited, obviously unhappy that she had given up. Then he said, “she’s fine. I visit her every day at your uncle’s place” he said “And we pray for you at all times” he added.

Kim closed her eyes, wanting to cry. She was afraid. Terrified that her Angel won’t be happy. Terrified that she would never see her daughter again.

Fr. Mark held her hand. “It just came to me” he said and continued, “How much do you like the idea of escaping from here. And this country with Angel?”

****
If I may ask, who do you think killed Richard??
PLEASE, DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!