CHAPTER 39

"She kill her husband” A prisoner said, laughing “Mami water”.

“If I no sabi anything, I go think sey she no fit kill anybody” Another said.

Kim ignored them.

“Oh girl! No be you we dey talk to?” One of the women that had been talking roared. She was famously know as Queen B. Feared and honoured in the prison like Kim Jong-un in North Korea.

Kim kept quiet and continued facing her meal. She was seated along with other prisoners, a table away from Queen B’s. This was one of the few times she encountered other prisoners. She was in solitary confinement because she was a death-row convict but ate and showered with other prisoners.

Queen B stood up. And her gang of women in different shapes and sizes also stood up. They started walking towards Kim. Trembling, Kim stoop up, ready to leave. She didn’t want trouble. In fact, she didn’t want to eat anymore. Others can eat the food but she had to leave the room with her life. As she stood up. A group of women from the nearest table blocked her path.

“Where’re you going?” One of them asked. She was on dreadlocks and her hair was like short crumbs of dark faeces.

“I don’t want trouble. Please, let me go” Kim said, looking behind her as Queen B and her clique came towards her.

A female officer stood at the door. And Kim saw her as she looked away and pretended as if nothing was happening.

“Please let me go” Kim said and tried to bypass them. They pushed her. And she would have fallen to the floor but, she felt fat arms enclose her. Without warning, she was pushed back to the group that pushed her first. They pushed her again. And again. And again. Like they were tossing a ball in a basketball court.

“Stop!” Kim screamed and held her ground as they tried pushing her again. “Don’t come near me” Kim said breathlessly.

The dining hall was quiet. Everyone was watching the drama.

“Whetin you go do?” Queen B said as she marched towards Kim smirking.

“Don’t come near me” Kim voice shook. She cringed as queen B kept coming closer.  

“Whetin you go do?” Queen B repeated in Nigerian Pidgin English.

Kim looked around. She was surrounded. Under siege by Queen B and her gang of fifteen big women or more.

“I’ll tell the warden” Kim said quietly. And the murmurs that was in the room suddenly went dead. If a cotton bud had fallen, the sound would have been loud and clear.

Queen B’s expression shifted, all amusement dying away at Kim’s reply. Her jaw clenched, her eyes narrowed, her nostrils flaring as she regarded Kim with an anger made Kim’s blood flow with shivers.

“The bitch thinks because she works for the warden, no one can mess with her” one of Queen B’s gang members whose face was like cracked leather and mangled with scars said.

“Queen B, make we show her the boss for this prison” Another gang member said.

“Show her!” A member yelled.

“Show her!” Another shouted.

And then, the groups and the entire hall began to chorus.

“Show her!”

“Show her!”

Kim’s heart began thumping. What did I do? What the hell have I done?

Queen B glowered at Kim and then, she stepped backwards as her gang members and other women in the dining hall stood up.

Kim’s brain filled with fear.

Oh my God.

What’s happening?

What’s about to happen?

“Teach her a lesson” Queen B said.
And the next thing Kim saw, was a group of giant ants jumping on her, pushing her to the floor and raining down fearful and mighty blows to her ears, eyes and body.

Goom. Goom. Goom.

The blows landed.

Hitting her like freight trains to her chest. Goom. Goom.

There is no way my skull or my kidneys will survive. She thought.

Goom. A blow on her stomach.

Goom. On her head.

Goom. On her mouth.

Goom. All over her body. The punches found a home.

And her last thought was: 

I may not even live to know the date of my execution.

I’ll be killed in here.