CHAPTER 13

The following happened between 11am and 12pm

Kim Harrison was driving down Tongest road when rain started falling. She turned on her wiper. Where was the location of that Art Centre again? Richard often talked about it but, she never went there with him.

She had thought that based on what Richard used to say, she would find the place with ease. She reversed her car and thought of heading back home. No. She’ll handle it now.

Perhaps, she should stop and go into one of the nearby shops and ask for directions. She stopped on the brake. And her car kept speeding. She was travelling at 50km/hr. Fear engulfed her. She mashed the brake. Gboom. And mashed it again. Her adrenal glands started pumping. Her car was not stopping. Brake failure. Her lungs and heart trembled with terror as she thought of only one word.

Angel.

Who will take care of my Angel? Fr. Mark? Or Uncle Ethan? She could hear Angel’s cries in her ears. Why did I not drive Richard’s car?

She stretched her hand and opened the glove compartment, she pulled out a locket, holding its chain. In the locket, was the picture of the people she loved the most: Connor and Angel.

The locket fell from her hand as the car hit a bump on the road. The ground was slippery. And rain was falling faster and faster while her car kept speeding like a gazelle that wanted to escape from a lion that was ready to rip open her soft throat.

She mashed her brake one more time. No change. A tanker was headed towards her. Travelling also at its full speed. Repeatedly, she stamped her brake as panic flooded her system.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Her heart beat frantically.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Her blood pounded in her ears. 

She was in trouble. Very big trouble. With all the strength her body could muster, she pressed down hard on the brake, honking as she did. The brake remained the same. She continued honking to signal the driver of the tanker to slow down or stop but he maintained his crazy speed.

Angel.

My sweet Angel.

An assault of tears burned her eyes. Her daughter will be raised without a mother. Who is going to love her as much as I do? Who’s going to care for her?

In the next few seconds, she will be in a head-on collision with a massive vehicle. At that moment, she decided to take a chance and drive into the side of the road that the government had now turned into an afforestation ground.

Swiftly, she swerved her car.

And the tanker sped past her.

And before she could take in a breath of relief as she watched the tanker she just eluded, her jeep smashed against a tree. Gboom.

Her airbag was released.

And the last thing she thought of as her eyes closed was: Angel. How will she cope after I’m gone? And how’ll she and Connor now ever know the truth? 

****
If you enjoyed this chapter, PLEASE, COMMENT OR VOTE. THANKS!