CHAPTER 31

"Mrs Harrison has fainted!” Jean shouted.

They’re trying to wake me up. Kim thought.

“Call the doctor!” someone screamed.

She tried opening her eyes but, they felt heavy with gravel. I’m a murderer. She knew that she sleepwalked, that was the reason she took her medication but, she never knew that she did anything worse than sleeping in her bed and waking up in the kitchen or sitting room the following morning.

I’m a murderer.

What if I killed Angel or Connor on one of those nights?

“The doctor’s here!” Someone yelled.

Please, don’t let me wake up. I’m a murderer. Killed my mother, Mr Joshua, Tessy and Richard. I’m a murderer. Don’t let me wake up.

******
“She doesn’t deserve this” Fr. Mark said, blocking Jasmine as she stepped out of the restroom. “You know she didn’t kill…”

“Why would I know that?” Jasmine fired.

“She’s a devout Catholic. She would never…”

“Stop being fooled. You’re believing in a woman who is worse than your biblical Lucifer”.

“She’s not like that way!” His anger slipped out of him. “She’s not like that” he repeated silently, squeezing his fist.

She shook her head. “What a shame” Jasmine said. “If you’re going to make excuses for her because she was sleeping when she murdered Richard, you’ll have to make those same excuses for drunks and druggies. After all, they don’t know what they’re doing either” She said.

The truth of her words struck him hard.

“But you know the difference between a drunk and that your church member?” She said “He can put down a bottle. No one can quit sleeping”.

She patted his shoulder, “Kim Jacobs is dangerous. Let me do everyone a favour and help send her to a firing squad” she said and bypassed him.

******
Kim’s eyes opened. Where was she? Had the whole court case been a dream?

“She’s awake” Natalie cried and rushed to sit on the bed beside Kim.

“I’m so sorry, Kim” Natalie said. “I trusted Allison at that time. And told her your real name. I didn’t have any friends. She was the only one I could talk to” Natalie said. “Please forgive me, I’m so sorry”.

And Natalie joined Kim wept out her eyes.

*****
“Mummy!” Angel screamed and jumped on Kim as she lay in the hospital bed.

Bridget and Sebastian walked into the room. Bridget kissed Kim on her forehead “we have been praying for you” Bridget said.

“Thanks” Kim said as she sat up and hugged Angel to herself.

“Sebastian, let’s come and pray together” Bridget said.

Seb eyed his sister and his cousin and walked out of their room. A minute later, Kim and Bridget made the sign of the cross and ended their prayer.

“I love you, mum” Angel said.

Kim replied, “I love you too, dear” whether I live or die.