CHAPTER 26

The trial of the state of Anambra vs Kimberly Jacobs Harrison for the murder of her husband, Mr Richard Harrison

“So, what should I call you, Kim Harrison or Mimi Fred…?”

“Objection my Lord!” Jean, Kim’s lawyer screamed.

Kim stood in the witness box and was being interrogated.

“Inspector Jasmine. There’s no need for that” The Judge, an Igbo man in his mid-fifties said.

“Thank you, my lord” Jasmine replied.
“It’s so courageous of you to climb this stand and defend your honour” Jasmine said, walking from her seat to the witness stand.

Perhaps, I made a mistake, Kim thought I should have listened to Jean and not taken the witness stand but, she was tired of seeing Jasmine trash all the former witnesses like her employees and church members who came to testify on her sound character and how well she loved a life of integrity.

“Did Richard, your husband” Jasmine emphasized “know that your daughter, Angel Harrison wasn’t his child?” Jasmine asked.

And Kim saw the eyes of the judge bulge as the pens of the journalists that were gathered scribbled away. She probably just ruined every word that her employees and church members had said. How could a woman of integrity bear another man’s child while she had a husband?

“Don’t forget you’re under oath, Mrs. Harrison. You must not lie to this honourable court” Jasmine said.

Kim nodded. “Yes. Richard knew”.

Jasmine lifted an eyebrow, “so in essence, you’re saying that the reason you killed your husband is not because he found out…”

“Objection, my lord!”

“that your daughter wasn’t his” Jasmine completed her words.

The judge glared at Jasmine.

“Mrs Harrison’s daughter is a separate human being with emotions and feelings. Discussing her in this court is not in any way necessary to this case” Jean said.

“Objection sustained. However, I feel this issue is relevant to the matter at hand. Inspector Jasmine” The judge nodded at her.

“Let me come again, Mrs Harrison” Jasmine continued. “How did Richard know that Angel Harrison wasn’t his child?”

Kim’s hands started shivering. How was she supposed to explain the answer? She focused on Jasmine alone. Uninterested in looking around and watching the judgemental looks on the faces of the men and women that filled the courtroom.

“He just knew” Kim said.

“How?” Jasmine stressed.

“Objection my lord. This question is unnecessary” Jean said.

“My questions have reasons, my Lord” Jasmine countered.

Judge Nnamdi adjusted the pair of glasses that sat atop his nose, he said “continue”.

Jasmine faced Kim, “How did Richard know that Angel Harrison was not his child? Did you tell him or what?”

Kim waited. Not sure whether to tell the truth or not. “We never slept together” Kim said.

And the court gasped in unison as murmurs filled the room.

“Silence! Judge Nnamdi hit the gavel on the sound block. And the voices died down.

“Let me get this straight” Jasmine said, chuckling “Never for once, did you Mrs Harrison have sex with your late husband, Richard Harrison”.