Chapter 58

It was nearly nine thirty when we were driving on the freeway, heading for whatever destination they planned. During this, the Texan hummed a soft, pleasing tune, keeping hands on the wheel and his emerald eyes on the road. Soldier and I relaxed in our seats, cuddling in each other's arms as we looked out the tinted windows. The American gingerly caressed my (H/C) hair, inhaling a sweet fruity scent lingering on it. While at it, a faint aroma of cedarwood filled up my nostrils as he pulled me closer to his chest, only to lift up my chin a little so that I was facing him.

     "(Y/N), Scout told us what happened during your date..." Soldier was concerned. "He mentioned something about a BLU trying to take you away. Is that true?"

     "It is, Jane..." I nodded, remembering that scary encounter with the Bostonian's rival. "If it weren't for Jeremy's heroic rescue, I would've experienced the worse."

     "Something I don't wanna imagine..." The azure-orbed mercenary frowned, hugging my form tighter. "I will not let anyone harm you, my little eagle. If those maggots dare to do so, they'll have to get through me first."

     "Jane..."

     I cuddled more, feeling more safe in Soldier's embrace as he resumed stroking my hair. About fifteen minutes later, our vehicle slowed down, exiting the freeway as we finally arrived at some small town located near a forest. As we drove further down, a certain stone archway in the distance appeared in view.

     "We're here, guys!" Engie smiled, making a right turn to enter a parking lot. "Have fun on your date!"

     After the car made a full stop at the front, Soldier hopped off first and gave me a hand. Holding it, I carefully climbed out of the vehicle before taking a look around. In front of us turned out to be a gigantic forest park rich with Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine trees. Aside from that, there were a couple of dirt trails that led through a thicket of berry bushes and grey alder. Somewhere at least fifty feet away, a wooden bridge stood above a river, making it accessible to reach the other side of the woodland.

     "Whoa..." I stood there in awe, admiring nature's beauty.

     "Such a magnificent place to be outdoors, right Cupcake?"

     I turned around, only to find Soldier taking out a woven basket topped with a rolled up picnic blanket from the trunk. After gathering all of the necessities, the blue-eyed mercenary signaled to Engie, letting him know that he got everything ready.

     "Alrighty then! Just call me when you're done!" The Texan turned on the ignition before speaking again. "Oh, and Soldier?"

     "Yeah?"

     "Keep an eye out for those dumb BLUs! Yah know what to do when yah see one!"

     And off he went, driving away from where we were standing. Once the vehicle was no longer in sight, the American smiled at me and held out his hand again. When I gladly took it, he planted a kiss on mine before we headed deeper into the woods. Taking a nice stroll on the trail, we spent time observing everything that nature had to offer us. With the morning sun shining brightly, every color and detail of our surroundings were so vibrant and pleasing to our eyes. From thistles to larkspurs and from trout lilies to violets, Soldier and I found the beauty of that forest to be quite a marvelous sight to behold. A couple minutes later, we were already crossing the bridge, reaching for another area of woodland on the opposite side. Taking a breath of crisp, fresh air, I smiled to myself, feeling more relaxed as the RED mercenary and I walked together hand in hand. Arriving at the end, we travelled up a different dirt trail, passing by thickets of witch hazel and deerberry shrubbery until we reached a certain area.