Chapter 9

(Your P.O.V.)

     A few minutes ago, I heard yells coming from my bedroom while setting the table. It sounded like the mercenaries were angry or something. Once the breakfast dishes were ready to be served, I immediately went upstairs and opened my door to find them standing near the shelf.

     "Good morning, guys." I greeted them while entering. The men turned around to see me, acting as if nothing happened.

     "Mornin', darlin.'" Engie responded with a smile. "We just um...woke up."

     "Oh? I thought I heard you guys yelling from my room. Did anything happen?" 

     All nine men were sweating at that point. None of them wanted to mention what just occurred a while ago; but then, the doctor spoke up.

     "Ah don't vorry about zhat, (Y/N)." Medic reassured me. "Ve vere just...talking about Archimedes!"

     He pointed to his fluffy white dove that was snuggling on the side table next to my bed. That was when Spy understood the idea and went along with the doctor's lie.

     "Oui." The Frenchman added as he sneakily returned the dance photo to the shelf behind his back, making sure I didn't notice. "It so happened zhat zhis pigeon disturbed us from our sleep. So ve got mad at Medic for letting his feathered friend stay in zhis room." 

     "Ah I see." I nodded in understanding and turned to Medic. "He can stay in the cage with my cockatiels if that is alright with you."

     "Danke, fräulein." The German smiled as he carefully handed over Archimedes.

     "Hehe...Such a little rascal you are..." I giggled, stroking the dove's head before letting him perch on my shoulder. Then I looked back at the mercenaries. "Well anyway guys, breakfast is ready! Hope you all like crêpes!" 

     "Crêpes? What are those, toots?" The Bostonian scratched his head as he never heard of them.

     "Zhey are basically French thin pancakes, Scout." Spy answered for me while fixing his tie.

     "Pancakes?! I love pancakes! Woo!"

     The boy cheered with excitement as he went out the doorway. The rest of us giggled as we trailed behind.

~~~Timeskip by Medic's doves~~~

     "Mmm! (Y/N), your crêpes are so delicious! Reminds me of my ma's cooking!" The Bostonian joyfully complimented my skills in cuisine.

     "Ma chérie, these are so délicieuse!" Spy smiled with delight as he took another bite. "I used to eat them a lot vhen I vas a child."

     "Aww thanks, guys!"

     The mercenaries and I were savoring various types of crêpes at the dining table. Every flavor ranging from strawberries with powdered sugar to bananas with nutella pretty much got the mercenaries craving for more. Just as I brought in more crêpes, the Texan cleared his throat.

     "Say darlin'," Engie got my attention, "yah said that you'll explain how yah knew 'bout us before we got here, right?"

     "Of course. I promised you all, didn't I?" I placed down the mixed berry crêpes before preparing myself to reveal the truth. "Well then, this is going to take a while for everyone to understand. So I want you all to be ready for it." All of the mercenaries gave me eye contact, ready to listen. "So, it began like this..."

     The conversation started with the history of video games. After going through a timeline from arcades to pc games and facts about Nintendo and Xbox consoles, I explained to the men that they were favorite characters from a multiplayer first-person shooter game called Team Fortress 2; in addition to that, I went in full detail about the RED and BLU teams, casual play modes like Capture the Flag and Payload, and certain holiday events like Scream Fortress and Smissmas. Throughout the discussion, Engie seemed to comprehend a lot quicker than the rest of the team could. His fellow friends were still trying to wrap their heads around the concepts of gaming. 

     "So in other words, mah team and Ah entered a universe in which we're praised as beloved characters of a popular game?" The Texan questioned as he readjusted his goggles.

     "Exactly." I confirmed as I looked at the other mercenaries. "I know this is a lot for you all to take in, but perhaps I can show you guys the game after breakfast."

~~~Fifteen minutes later~~~

     After chowing down on the appetizing crêpes, the men and I were already in my bedroom as I was logging into my account. With the team watching from behind, I clicked on the game title before its main page showed up. The mercenaries couldn't believe it, for they indeed saw a group picture of themselves on the computer screen. Once the game was up and ready, I started off in my favorite Upward map in Payload mode. As I selected my class as the RED Soldier, the men quickly looked at their American friend who exchanged glances in return, wondering if I could rocket jump or melee fight with shovels. Within a few seconds, a familiar voice boomed from the computer speakers.

     "Mission begins in thirty seconds!"  A certain female was heard.

     "Wait a sec! That was the Administrator!" Scout pointed out.

     "Indeed, pardner." Engie agreed. "Just like every war we get in against the BLUs." 

     As everyone waited patiently for the match to commence, Soldier took a nearby chair and sat next to me. Removing his helmet, he revealed his sky blue orbs. 

     "So Cupcake, you know how to handle the rocket launcher?" The American questioned.

     "Yep. I'm actually a Soldier main, so I already know my ways of screamin' eagles!" I humorously replied. This made the blue-eyed mercenary laugh.

     "Well, that was cute..." Soldier thought to himself as a small smile formed on his lips. "Someday, I hope that Cupcake will be mine...My little soldier girl...My soaring eagle--"

     "Mission begins in ten seconds!"

     The American immediately snapped backed to reality as he heard the Administrator's voice again. Everyone else had their eyes glued to the computer screen. My hands shook a little as I held one of them in position on a keyboard and the other on a mouse. Just as I did so, I felt Soldier slither his arm around my back, waiting for the Payload match to start. He could tell I was ready to take down the online BLU team with his trusty rocket launcher.

     "5...4...3...2...1...BEGIN!!!"