Chapter 24

I rushed down the stairs and across the living room to get the front door. From there, I reached up my hand to unlock the latches; but just as my fingers were a couple inches away from the doorknob, I suddenly remembered that my hickey from the Texan was still showing on my neck. Darn it, Engie. I tried pulling up my red dress as an attempt to conceal it; but however, it only covered almost half of it. Oh no, I hope my dad wouldn't see it. Since my dress couldn't do much help for it, I moved some of my hair to the front, so that the purple bruise would be less noticeable. Taking a deep breath, I finally twisted the doorknob, only to be greeted by a warm hug.

"Hello, my dear." My father smiled as he enveloped me in his loving embrace.

"Welcome home, Dad." I returned the hug and a smile. "How was your work?"

"Pretty exhausting as usual, but it was alright." He responded as he entered the house, carrying his luggage. "That's a very beautiful dress, (Y/N). Did your mom buy you that?"

"Well umm..."

I paused for a while as I remembered Spy, or Laurent as he preferred for me to call him, was the one who handpicked it and gave it to me as a present. But how could I explain to my father about him? Or the rest of the mercenaries? For sure, my father would get disappointed if he found out about the presence of uninvited guests in his home.

"Actually, it was a gift." I answered.

"Oh?" My father was surprised. "Who was it from?"

"Laurent."

"Who's he?"

Little did I know that a certain Frenchman was watching us from a few feet away, fully cloaked at a nearby corner. Feeling nervous, he carefully observed me, wondering what I was going to explain to my dad.

"He's a friend of mine." I lied.

"Boyfriend?" He raised an eyebrow.

"N-No, Dad." I sweated a little. "Just a friend."

My father looked at me for a bit, making sure I was very serious about it. Thankfully, he just nodded a little, seemingly accepting my answer; but however, much to my surprise, his eyes suddenly laid on something he never saw before.

"(Y/N)?" He examined the mark on my skin. "What is this?"

My face immediately went pale, for I realized that my hair and dress failed to hide it from his sight. Somewhere in the room, the invisible mercenary facepalmed.

"Sacrebleu..." Spy frowned while remaining fully cloaked. "I can't believe zhat Engie marked ma chérie." His mind was cut off when he accidentally knocked over something from the side table, hearing it hit the floor. "Merde!"

"What was that noise?"

My father looked in the direction where the sound came from, but all he saw was a remote control lying on the tiles. Shrugging his shoulders, he turned back to me.

"Guess I'm just imagining things. Alright, I'm going to head up to my room and sleep." He slowly removed his blazer and kicked off his shoes. "Oh, and just to let you know that your mom will be at your aunt's house for a few days. She has to babysit your cousin for a while. Good night, (Y/N)."

With that being said, my father picked up his belongings and headed up the stairs to his bedroom. As soon as the sound of his footsteps faded, I let out a sigh of relief, thankful that he didn't try to question me more about the hickey. Just as I was about to leave the living room, I suddenly felt my body being lifted off the floor.

"What the..."

It only took me a while to realize that I wasn't alone downstairs, for I was already floating in the air like a ghost. Hearing a chuckling sound, I recognized that voice.

"Laurent?"

A decloaking sound was heard when the Frenchman finally revealed himself, smiling as he held me bridal style.

"Oui, mon amour. It's a good zhing your father didn't bug you much, thanks to my clumsiness a while ago." He looked at the purple bruise on my neck as his lips curved into a frown. "I'm sorry zhat my friend gave you a hickey."

"It's alright, Laurent." I assured him with a small smile. "It's not a big deal, really. What only matters is that my dad has no idea you and the others are here."

Nodding in agreement, Spy nuzzled my forehead as he carefully went up the staircase, holding me closely as my arms were wrapped around his neck. After tiptoeing through a hallway to avoid disturbing my father, the French mercenary finally arrived at my door, turning the knob before carrying me inside.

"Ya better keep your filthy hands off moi sheila, ya cactus-eatin' egghead!" An Aussie scowled.

As the Frenchman let me down on my feet, I looked over to see that the other teammates had tied up Engie to a chair, supposedly as a punishment for that particular incident. I understood that they were still infuriated about it; but at the same time, I thought that they went a little too far with their actions.

"Ah'm tellin' ya, guys!" The Texan exclaimed as he struggled in the ropes. "Honeybee and Ah were just cuddlin'! Nothin' else!"

"I don't think so, you moron!" The Bostonian boy held up my smartphone in front of Engie. "See this? Your face was physically an inch above (Y/N)'s while you were pressing your body against hers! And you call that cuddling?! That looks like you were gonna..."

"Everyone, that's enough!"

The mercenaries turned their heads around to find me along with Spy near the doorway. Standing with arms crossed, I shook my head as I disapproved with what they were doing to the poor Texan.

"Engie didn't do anything wrong!" I defended him. "Now untie him, please!"

"But sweet cheeks!"

"Untie him!"

Not wanting to disappoint me more, Scout undid the knots just as he was told, sighing in defeat. Feeling relieved from the tightness of the ropes, the Texan rubbed his arms, soothing the redness that formed on them.

"You are very lucky this time, toymaker." Soldier gave Engie a stern look. "But the next time you do it again, we won't go easy on you!"

~~~Timeskip by Archimedes and Maxie~~~

It was around ten p.m., and the mercenaries were already in their deep slumbers. Relaxing in bed, I stared up at a ceiling, wondering how the rest of the week would go since my father was home. My thoughts were interrupted when a strong arm gently wrapped around my waist.

"Liebe," the German doctor whispered as he looked at me dearly, "is everyzhing alright?"

"Yes, Ludwig." I assured him. "Just wondering what to do since my dad's here."

"I see..." Medic paused for a moment before enveloping me in his warm embrace. "Our hardhatted friend didn't do anyzhing else to jou, did he?"

"Nope," I shook my head, "he and I were just snuggling."

Nodding at what I just said, the German gave a soft smile as he stroked my (H/C) hair. While cuddling in his body warmth, I felt his other hand holding my chin up with his thumb and index finger, as his icy blue orbs stared into my (E/C) ones.

"Meine kleine Taube, may I?"

Realizing what he meant, I gave him the permission to do so. Medic joyfully grinned in response as he finally got to press his lips onto mine. My cheeks became brightly rouged in the dark as I slowly melted into the kiss. Whoever knew that a mad doctor could be as gentle as a dove? After what felt like five minutes, he and I parted our lips for air, breathing quietly as we gazed at each other through our half-lidded eyes. Yawning a bit, I snuggled on his warm chest before closing my eyes to sleep. This made the German let out a soft chuckle in response.

"Sweet dreams, Liebe."