Chapter 72

Lyrics from "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal.

     I instantly stood up on my toes to peek over people's shoulders. Once I got a better look at him, my face immediately turned pale. Even Engie appeared to be discontented about the inevitable situation he got in. Much to our dismay, that contestant turned out to be none other than a certain Texan from the BLU team. Instead of his usual mercenary uniform, the doppelgänger was dressed in a button-up cornflower blue shirt that was neatly tucked into dark pants supported by suspenders; in addition to that, he sported a midnight blue cowboy hat and tie, a duo black and gold right glove, and a pair of matching boots, completing a western style.

     Cheers gradually grew louder from the crowd as that BLU rival came up the stage, letting leather ropers click heavily with every step he took. Once there, the announcer provided a second banjo, allowing both him and Engie to tune their stringed instruments for the performance. Now ready, both opposing Texans stood face to face, about to commence a showdown.

     "Well well well...Ah wouldn't forgive and forget what yer dummy did to a friend of mine, so Ah guess it's time to not only put ya back in yer place," the doppelgänger paused to look in my direction, smirking, "but to also impress our sugar cube out there in the crowd."

     "Excuse me?...Ya mean...mah baby doll?" Dell corrected with a southern drawl, eyes locked on his. "Now listen here, bein' Mr. Steal-your-girl ain't no way to be. Ah don't know what y'all are plannin', but frankly, Ah'm goddamn tired of runnin' into yer ugly asses since that day at the beach."

     "Not sorry 'bout that, hardhat. Mah pals and Ah will never stop goin' after your princess." His rival readied himself into position with his banjo. "Now let's get started!"

     "Oh it's on..." The RED member gritted his teeth while doing the same with his instrument.  "Ya better start prayin', cause you're 'bout to have a real bad time!"

     Seeing that both men were about to perform, spectators resumed cheering while the announcer began to speak on the mic,

     "Now, let the competition begin!"

     The opponents nodded at each other, indicating that they were ready to face on.

     Three...

     Two...

     One...

     ...

     "YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!!!"

     And off they went to a great start as both cowboys strummed on their instruments, creating a catchy tune as cheers roared on. Carefully making my way to the front, I finally got a better view of them going at each other, gliding their fingers up and down the metal strings and crying out their yeehaws. Listening to their music, I immediately recognized it from one of Engie's special taunts in the game, the Dueling Banjo to be exact.

     Minutes had passed, and the performance remained nonstop. As spectators wondered on how long the Texans could keep up at it, one of them started belittling the other.

     "Ya think you're better at this?" The BLU teammate increased the tempo to get ahead of him. "To me, ya just ain't doin' it right!"

     "Are ya sure 'bout that? Well, lemme remind ya somethin'!" Dell furrowed his brows while doing the same in return. "Do ya remember just a while ago when Ah said that you're 'bout to have a real bad time?"

     "Well of course Ah do!" He frowned at him, keeping the pace. "And why is that?"

     "When Ah said it, Ah really meant it! Hope you're ready to get your ass kicked by this!"