Chapter 69

After that BLU incident in the bookstore, Heavy and I stopped by a local nursery a few blocks away. From there, we took our time to browse around vibrant flowery plants and fruit trees that filled the air with a sweet, gentle aroma. As soon as we reached the end of a certain aisle, the Russian became very delighted as he found a fresh bunch of sunflowers that looked like they had been recently planted. One by one, we picked up some of those brilliant yellow-petaled blooms and placed them in our cart until we decided it was enough to cover most of our garden. On the way to a cash register, I selected a variety of colorful flowers from pansies to hydrangeas, and even added some peonies and dahlias for the planned finishing touches. After paying for everything, we carefully placed them in our vehicle before heading home, feeling excited to do some gardening.

     Along the route through Downtown (city name), we happened to pass by buildings that housed local businesses ranging from fashion boutiques to family-owned cafes. However, just as we were minutes away from arriving at the suburb, Heavy made an unexpected full stop in front of what looked like a carpentry shop.

     "Mikhail?" I looked at him, confused. "Why are we here?"

     "Stay here, leetle girl." He unbuckled his belt before gingerly stroking my (H/C) hair. "Heavy will be right back."

     The Russian teammate got out of our vehicle before entering that small shop. Remaining in my seat, I began to wonder why he went to visit a workshop. Within seconds, a buzzing sound was heard. I looked down to my side, only to find Heavy's smartphone lying on the driver's seat. Oops...Perhaps he forgot it. Feeling curious, I picked up that device to get a better look it. Appearing on its screen was some notification with a following text message from one of the RED mercenaries:

     "Hey Heavy! How are ya and honeybee doin' on your date so far?"

     Judging by my nickname, I realized that it came from Engie; but of course, Heavy couldn't respond right away since he accidentally left his phone. Not wanting to keep the Texan waiting, I quickly responded on a mobile device.

     "Hey there, Dell! It's (Y/N)! Mikhail actually left his phone in the car and is now in some store. Everything's going well, but the BLUs showed up earlier."

     Hitting the send button, I looked throughout the window to see if the defense mercenary exited that shop yet. However, it still turned out that he was taking his time browsing around. A minute went by and a new message popped up. I opened it to read the following:

     "Man, can't those dummies quit? Pretty sure they're up to somethin'. Are ya alright, honeybee?"

     After reading Engie's message, I immediately typed down details on everything that happened. From how Heavy and I were supposed to enjoy our date in a bookstore, to the time when that Russian doppelgänger, accompanied by three other teammates, challenged him to a chess game. In addition to that, I shared to the Texan that Heavy and I planned to do some gardening at home. Once my text was successfully sent, I checked again to see the defense mercenary through a shop window. From the looks of it, he seemed to be almost done, for he was in front of a cash register. The phone buzzed again, showing a notification on its screen.

     "Thank god you're safe, darlin'. Knew that Heavy will take of 'em without a problem. And oh boy, gardening? Sounds like fun! Lemme know when you two head back home, alright?"

     Putting the phone down, I finally noticed Heavy exiting that carpentry shop. Once he reached our car, he carefully placed a paper bag in the back row and hopped onto his seat before turning on the ignition.

     "Sorry, leetle girl." The RED member spoke as he resumed driving. "Heavy took longer than expected."

     "That's alright." I nodded in understanding. "Say, what's in that bag?"