Chapter 71

Engie gladly led me through a hallway and down the stairs, hand in hand. Arriving in our living room, we noticed the rest of the mercenaries who gathered around our tv, competing each other on my Switch games as usual. While passing by, one of them heard our footsteps and looked over in our direction.

     "Heading out now, toymaker?" The helmet-cladded American asked. "Got everything you need?"

     "Yep Ah did, pardner." The emerald-eyed teammate nodded until he came to a sudden halt, realizing something. "Oops, almost forgot."

     "What is it?" I asked.

     "Ah'll be right back, darlin'."

     The Texan immediately went back upstairs as I waited in our living room with the others. A couple minutes passed by, and he returned down carrying what appeared to be his guitar case. Now curious, I wondered what Engie needed his stringed instrument for.

     "Alrighty then!" He gently held my hand again. "Let's go now, (Y/N)! You're gonna love it!"

     "Where are we going, Dell?"

     "You'll know when we get there, honeybee."

~~~Timeskip by Third Degree Pyro~~~

     Our vehicle roamed across the freeway, passing by multiple cars and trucks underneath a cloudy sheet of white. During a pleasant drive, a country song played on our radio as Engie tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, whistling and nodding his head to the rhythm. We already traveled through four or five cities, but I still couldn't figure out where the Texan was taking me to. An additional fifteen minutes later, we finally exited the freeway, arriving at what appeared to be an open grassy field filled with beds of vibrant wildflowers. While driving along the narrow, concrete road, something at a distance immediately caught the mercenary's eye.

     "Look, (Y/N)!" He is in pointed out his window. "We're almost there!"

     A couple miles away was some sort of fair located near a beach that consisted of attractions and various booths, just like the one that Pyro and I went to the other day; however, unlike that carnival, this one had a huge, decorated concert stage set up with musical instruments and lighting equipment. Numerous parked vehicles were strewn all over the field, while visitors dressed for the weather excitedly headed over to that venue. Just as we got to our destination, Engie exited the car and opened my door to hold out his hand. I gently took it and hopped down, closing the door behind to be greeted by a gentle breeze of oceanic air. The emerald-eyed mercenary then carried out a case of his stringed, prized possession and locked our vehicle before intertwining his fingers with mine.

     "Here we are." The Texan smiled, showing me the place. "Ah thought it would be nice to bring ya to the music festival."

     "A music festival, huh?" I kept walking as I spoke. "I've never been to one."

     "Your first time, (Y/N)? Ah'm quite surprised."

     We eventually arrived at the entrance where a line designated for purchasing tickets was formed. The time was already eleven fifty, and the festival wouldn't start until noon. While patiently waiting for the event to start, a ringtone was heard, prompting the Texan to slip a hand into his pocket. He then pulled out a smartphone displaying a new message on its screen:

     "Engie, got anything to report? Have you and (Y/N) arrived there yet?"

     "Dell, who is it from?" I asked after seeing the text.

     "It's from Spy. Perhaps he was checkin' on us."

     Scratching his chin, the defense mercenary proceeded to respond to his teammate. He started to type in the following: