Chapter 29

~~~Half an hour later~~~

After poking fun at Spy with an embarrassing video, the mercenaries wondered what to do in my room since my father was present downstairs. Lying down on the bed between the Frenchman and a Texan, I listened to the other men as they were bringing up ideas to keep themselves entertained.

"Yo guys! How about we play some Truth or Dare?" The Bostonian suggested.

"Naw. Ah don't think so, laddie. Not all of us really like tae play dat." Demoman disagreed as he placed a box full of bottled scrumpy in front of himself. "Say, 'ow 'bout a drinkin' game?"

"нет." The tall Russian shook his head and pulled out a huge book from his duffel. "How about Heavy read some interesting stories to all of you, leetle babies?"

"Nope." Engie got up from my bed and took out his guitar from a case. "How 'bout you guys listen to some music Ah composed?"

"Or maybe," Medic showed his medigun and other equipment, "ve can practice medicine!"

"No!"

As the teammates argued on what to do in the meantime, I suddenly sat up from bed, thinking of a solution to appease them. As I looked around my room, my (E/C) eyes eventually laid on my pc which displayed a certain game title screen, giving me an idea that I never thought of.

"Hey guys!" I caught attention of the mercenaries. "I think I know what we can do!"

"Oh really, toots?" Scout looked at me. "What is it?"

"How about you guys try playing your game?" I grinned.

"Our game?" The Bostonian scratched the back of his head.

~~~Timeskip by Merasmus's magic~~~

The team observed as I instructed Scout how to position his hands on both the keyboard and mouse. As soon as he got it, I gave him tips on how to move his in-game character before I opened up Team Fortress 2.

"Alright, Scout." I selected some Payload mode maps to search for an available match for him to join. "Aside from the general controls I taught you, there's also a cool option wherein you can communicate with your online teammates using the mic."

"You mean this?" He pointed to the earpiece he was wearing.

"Nope, with this." I showed him a wired computer microphone on a short stand.

"Ooh I see. Fancy stuff ya got here."

In just a couple of seconds, a notification popped up in front of the Bostonian, showing that the online match was ready. As the screen finished loading the Badwater map, Scout selected the class as himself and went on to join the RED online team.

"Mission begins in sixty seconds!" The administrator's voice echoed.

"Whoa! This game's pretty cool! Looks exactly like Badwater Basin!"

The young mercenary maneuvered himself in the game, following the other online teammates as they headed over to the base where the BLU's were waiting. As he arrived at an area near the gate, he found another RED Scout standing next to him. Feeling curious, he decided to initiate a conversation.

"Hey there, pally!" The Bostonian talked to his teammate on my microphone. "How's it goin'?"

Everything went silent as his voice was heard in the game. However, after about ten seconds, the Scout player responded back via voice chat.

"Pretty well. And whoa, you really sound like Scout!" A gamer's voice from the other end sounded really excited.

"That's because I am the Scout!"

"Well, of course you are!" A chuckle was heard from a Heavy player who appeared before them. "But please tell us! Are you Nathan Vetterlein?"

"Wait who?..." He raised an eyebrow.

At that point, I realized I had forgotten to mention to him that he, along with the other mercenaries, were voiced by actual people. I mean, they're video game characters! How were they supposed to know that they had actors providing their unique voices? Not wanting to keep the guy waiting, Scout quickly turned to me for help.

"Sweet cheeks," the Bostonian became confused, "what was that guy talkin' about?"

"He thought that you were some voice actor." I answered.

"Voice actor?" The rest of the teammates said in unison.

I took a quick moment to explain to the men how they actually work. After a short lecture of voice acting 101, they found it quite surprising that some of them were voiced by the same people.

"Heavy finds it hard to believe that leetle Demo and I share the same leetle man." The Russian glanced at his Scottish friend who didn't seem to pay attention due to his drunken state.

"And vhy do I have the same voice actor as zhat freak?!" Spy questioned while pointing at Pyro. "No refined gentleman should be voicing a mumbling abomination!"

"Hudda Hudda!"

"Shut up, guys! I'm trying to answer this guy's question!" Scout pressed on a key as he moved his face closer to the microphone. "Umm no. I'm not this Nathan guy...whoever you're talking about."

"You must be kidding me!" The Heavy main didn't seem to buy what the Bostonian said. "If you're not Nathan Vetterlein, then what is your real name?"

"It's Jeremy!" He responded clearly via voice chat. "Jeremy's my real name!"

"What the?" The online player seemed to be weirded out. "That's...quite odd. That is also the Scout's real name."

"I know, right?" The other gamer agreed with the Heavy main. "I mean, he's gotta be lying when he claims he's not Nathan! There's no mistaking it with that kind of voice!"

"Aw come on, you guys!" Jeremy complained on the microphone. "How many times do I have to tell ya? I'm not—"

"Mission begins in ten seconds!"

The Bostonian's voice was cut off when that feminine voice boomed through my pc speakers. Seeing that he was feeling a bit annoyed by his online team. I gave him a warm, gentle hug to cheer him up. Blushing a little, the young mercenary calmed down and smiled as he then pulled me into his embrace, stroking my hair.

"Don't worry about those gamers, Jeremy. And good luck with the online match!" I planted a soft kiss on his cheek, which caused his face to turn red like a tomato.

"Thanks, baby cakes..." He smiled and gently pecked my forehead before getting ready.

"5...4...3...2...1...BEGIN!"