Chapter 61

Honestly, I cried while writing this. A roller coaster of feels ahead! And some blood trigger warning as well! Don't forget to have a box of tissues ready, everyone!

~~~Timeskip by Lieutenant Bites~~~

During an hour-long trip in a summery weather, our vehicle traveled numerous miles, passing by charming towns and huge, bustling cities. As a refreshing cool breeze flowed through the air to beat the heat, Pyro and I relaxed in the back row, pumped up with excitement for wherever we were heading to. In a few minutes, Engie turned right at an intersection, entering another street which turned out to be crowded with cars stuck in heavy traffic.

"Oh boy, would ya look at that?" The Texan was amazed to see numerous vehicles in front of ours. "Seems like everybody's going to the carnival."

"The carnival?" I rolled down the window, poking my head out to see a gigantic Ferris wheel in the distance. "It's been a while since I visited one."

"When was the last time you went to the carnival, firefly?" The olive-eyed teammate asked.

"Before Cameron and I started dating." I frowned, mentioning his name. "I was able to have fun with my friends. Attending fairs, relaxing at beaches, and traveling to various places. But all of that stopped when he entered my life..."

Pyro pulled me into a protective embrace, gingerly stroking my (H/C) hair as he felt his blood boiling. He couldn't believe how someone like Cameron would do such horrible things to me. At that point, his mind began to occupy itself with such imagination no one else would have. As a pyromaniac, the auburn-haired man could picture himself chasing down that sick bastard with his trusty weapon one day.

"Ugh! I cannot tolerate the fact that my precious (Y/N) was abused! Who dares to hurt my queen?!" Pyro thought to himself as his arms still remained around my form. "Not on my watch! I can't wait to burn up that good-for-nothing son of a bitch!"

As the fire mercenary was mentally plotting ways to rid Cameron, he snapped back to reality when he felt a small tug on his sleeve.

"Aiden?..." I looked up at him. "Are you alright? You were zoning out for a bit."

"Oh? I'm fine, firefly." Pyro smiled, assuring me that everything was okay. "There's nothing to worry about—"

"Get ready, ya two!" Engie interrupted as he drove. "We're almost there!"

In just a few minutes, our vehicle came to a complete stop in front of the archway entrance where excited crowds of people gathered to purchase their tickets for the carnival. Opening the door, Pyro jumped out and lent out a hand, leading me out of the vehicle. Before we could head over, the Texan honked the horn a couple times.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Engie called our names as he rolled down his window.

"Yes?" I returned to him along with the olive-orbed teammate.

"Please be sure that mah best friend gets comfortable 'round here. This is gonna be his first time in a fair without a mask and suit. Ah remember how he frightened parents and children when the team and I attended one near Teufort." He then turned to the fire mercenary. "And Pyro, if people say somethin' about ya, just ignore them. You're gonna be fine. Have fun, buddy!"

Closing the tinted window, Engie drove away, leaving me and the RED teammate alone. After our Texan friend disappeared, Pyro gently took my hand and led me into a crowd as we were welcomed by joyful festivities and various entertainment that the carnival had to offer. As soon as we got our tickets, the fire mercenary wondered what to do first while we strolled by enjoyable booth games and wild ride attractions. That was until something caught his eye.