Chapter 49

Buzz!

     As the RED mercenaries and I were doing the conga line, my smartphone started to vibrate in my hand. Checking the brightened screen, I realized that my mother was contacting me. Before anything, I motioned the men to cease dancing for a while.

     "Guys, it's my mom!" I got their attention. "Going to answer her call!"

     The mercenaries nodded and remained silent as I swiped my finger on the device screen. Holding the phone up to my ear, I could finally hear a familiar voice from the other end.

     "Hi, Mom!" I greeted. "How are you?"

     "I'm doing alright, sweetie!" She happily responded back. "And how about you?"

     "I'm pretty well. Just relaxing." I smiled as the men did the same while watching me. "Before Dad left this morning, he mentioned that you're coming home tonight?"

     "Oh yes, that's right. I spent a few days taking care of your little cousin. His mother just got home a while ago. Right now, I'm carrying stuff to my car. It'll take a few hours for me to get home. I'll see you later, dear!"

     "Alright! Drive safely, Mom!"

     Ending the call, I slipped my mobile device into my pocket. Just as I did, a hand rested on my right shoulder.

     "Hey firefly," Pyro gave me eye contact, "what did your mom say?"

     "Well, she's going to be back soon."

     "Hmm that reminds me..." Engie paused for a moment before speaking. "Will we be able to meet your parents someday, honeybee?"

     "Someday, Dell." I assured him. "When the right time comes, I'll be sure to introduce you all to them."

~~~Timeskip by Thermal Thruster Pyro~~~

     It had been a couple of hours, and the mercenaries were already hanging out in my room. I was relaxing on the couch, scrolling down all the photos in my phone while waiting for my mother. Smiling to myself, I examined each picture taken at the mall, and during a hot, summer day at a beach. Seeing all smiles on the men's faces made me think of my past life before I met those mercenaries. Everything was normal. Very normal. Just boring college life, family road trips, and regular bonding times with few, old friends. However, when the popular video game characters first entered my world, everything changed. My life became happier and more lively as these mercenaries brought in the fun and laughter in my home. Ever since they admitted their feelings to me, my love for them had been growing stronger, day by day, night by night. But most importantly, there was a big question that lingered in my mind. Who do I love the most? Who should I pick to spend the rest of my life with? All of these nine men made me feel loved and special in every way, but it was so difficult to decide on any one of them. My thoughts were interrupted as I heard a couple knocks on the door.

     "Oh! She's finally here!"

     Hopping off the furniture, I quickly headed for the front door. Undoing the metal latches, I turned a knob to open the doorway, only to be greeted with a warm hug.

     "Hi, Mom!" I embraced back, smiling. "How was the drive?"

     "Had heavy traffic along the way, but I'm alright." She replied, relieved from a long trip. "How was your father when I was away?"

     "Dad was doing fine, just stressed from his job. But regardless, he was happy to be home for a while." I took a moment to think about my father. "Honestly, I've been wondering if Dad would ever find another job close to home. I just...feel worried for him since he travels a lot."