Chapter 6

As I was going downstairs with a tray in my hands and two men trailing behind, I stopped to see that the other mercenaries were having a good time. Scout and Soldier were cheering at a baseball game on tv. Demoman was playing some catchy tunes on my piano. Heavy and Spy were discussing some important matters at the table. And Engie and Pyro were busy cooking more meals in the kitchen. Honestly, I never thought that everything in my house would become this lively. I scanned around the area to notice a peculiar white fluff at the corner.

"Um, Medic?" I looked at the German.

"Ja, fräulein?"

"Is that?..." I pointed to the direction where the white fluff was. The doctor's facial expression turned into a frown.

"ARCHIMEDES?!! VHAT ARE JOU DOING ZHERE?!!"

Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at the annoyed German. His pet dove, Archimedes, was cooing next to my cockatiel, Maxie. I found it quite adorable though.

"Du hinterhältiger Vogel! (You sneaky bird!) I thought jou were still at ze base!"

"Sorry, Doktor." A Russian guy at the table gave Medic an apologetic look. "Heavy found leetle bird sleeping in your duffel last night. Heavy is sure that leetle bird doesn't want to miss his pigeon daddy, da?"

Roars of laughter rang throughout the house, getting Medic quite embarrassed. His cheeks became red like a tomato. I pretty much giggled at the fact that Heavy just called his German friend a pigeon daddy. I mean, what did you expect from a mad doctor who owned at least twenty doves?

As Medic gave his feathered fellow a lecture about sneaking out, the Aussie had his eyes on my birds. I could tell that he had a thing for animals too.

"Sheila, you have cockatiels?" He asked me, knowing that this species of birds originated from his country.

"Yes, Sniper." I nodded. "I'm a bird lover. I also hand tame them as well." I showed him by getting my bird's attention and holding out a hand. The same tiel who had been hanging out with Archimedes flew up and perched on my finger, chirping sweetly.

The Aussie stared with amazement as the gray and yellow cockatiel eventually flew to his shoulder and gently pecked his cheek. This made the assassin smile as the doctor was watching too.

"I didn't know jou also have a zhing for birds, (Y/N)." The German walked to the cage and looked at the other two birds. "I wish my bird vould listen to me very vell."

"Hehe. If you want, I can help you with your dove." I opened a nearby container and took a small handful of bird seeds. I showed it to him, then Archimedes immediately flew to my hand and fed on the crunchy seeds.

"Mein gott." That was all Medic managed to say. He had no clue that Archimedes would obey another person.

~~~5 hours later~~~

The rest of the day was spent in the living room as the mercenaries and I were watching various shows on tv. They all seemed intrigued on how today's shows from horror to comedy were different from those of their time. As I pulled out my smartphone to check something, all of the nine men suddenly looked at me.

"Say darlin', what's that?" Engie pointed to a slim device in my hand.

"Oh, it's a mobile phone." I replied. "It's a special kind that you can take anywhere and call people whenever you like. You can even do multiple stuff here like taking pictures, playing games, and such."

"Zhat looks interesting, fräulein. May ve have a look at it, please?" Medic asked.

I nodded and handed my smartphone to the doctor. All eyes were glued to a small phone as Medic tapped on one of the apps. The entire screen changed as it opened the camera app, showing everyone's faces in it.

"Bloody hell! What is this? A mirror?"

"Mein gott! Is zhis magic?!"

"AHHH!!! WE LIVE IN THE WORLD OF MAGIC! AHHHH!!!"

Giggling at their reactions, I found it hilarious the way they looked at the touchscreen for the first time. I sat in the middle of them and showed them how to take pictures with it, and managed to take a first group photo. Then I snapped another with everyone making funny faces and poses. The mercenaries were fascinated by this technology that they asked Engie to build similar devices for them. The Texan chuckled and said that he'll eventually figure it out someday. It was so fun that I got to spend an entire day with the mercenaries from my favorite video game. Unfortunately, this came to an end when a doorbell was heard. I suddenly froze.

"Sweet cheeks, what was that sound?" A Bostonian boy questioned as I stood up from the couch.

"Everyone! It's my mom! Hide in my bedroom now!"

All of the mercenaries nodded and ran upstairs. I immediately cleaned up the mess left behind and headed for the door.