Chapter 8

(Your P.O.V.)

The next morning, everyone was still sleeping soundly. As the sun rays peaked from the horizon, I slowly woke up to find myself in the doctor's arms. I slightly blushed, remembering what happened the previous night. Climbing out of bed, I checked my smartphone to only find one text message from my mom.

"Good morning, sweetheart! Something urgent came up at work, so I left very early this morning. I also have to babysit my friend's son after that, so I won't be back until 10 p.m. Take care dear! <3"

Watching the mercenaries napping comfortably, I pondered what we could do for the whole day. Probably I would take them out to show around the city I live in; but first things first, I promised Engie that I would explain to him and the others how I knew about them before their arrival. I also decided to cook breakfast since Engie did yesterday, just to return the favor. Quietly tiptoeing out of the doorway, I headed downstairs to prep meals, hoping they would enjoy them.

(Third Person P.O.V.)

Around half an hour later, Soldier was the first mercenary to wake up. Well, it was part of his job back in Teufort when he had to knock on each door to get everyone up. But this time, it was very different since the men were sharing a bedroom together. Placing his helmet aside, the blue-eyed American decided to look around. Standing next to the bed was a white wooden shelf full of colorful picture frames and cute animal figurines. Soldier carefully picked up one of the frames which contained a photo of six-year-old (Y/N). She was wearing a bright yellow sundress while sitting on an iron bench in the park.

"Cupcake was adorable as a kid." Soldier thought. "But right now, she's grown into a very beautiful lady..."

Smiling, he placed it back down and picked up another that came from a high school dance. Developing a pink blush on his cheeks, Soldier examined a portrait of (Y/N) in a gorgeous designer gown. His heart was pounding, and he couldn't help but admire her beauty. Honestly, he thought that the lady looked like a lovely goddess. After a few seconds, Soldier noted another photo that seemed to have been taken recently. He placed back the second picture and pulled out a glossy brown frame, only to reveal (Y/N) on the day of her graduation. In that picture, she was in a cap and gown with a diploma in her hand as she was standing between her two happy parents.

"Hmm...I wonder where Cupcake's father is..."

"Looking at (Y/N)'s photos, I zee..."

Hearing a sudden voice, the American jumped and turned around to be greeted by a certain Frenchman.

"Spy! You scared me! Don't do that ever again, you crouton!"

"My apologies, Soldier. It vasn't my intention to do so." Spotting one of the frames, he carefully picked it up and examined the same high school dance photo. "(Y/N) est très belle dans cette robe. Je veux la faire mienne..."

"What did you say?"

"I vas saying zhat (Y/N) looks beautiful in zhat dress."

     That was half the truth, but the gruff American felt that Spy mentioned something else. Something that bothered him deeply.

"YOU'RE ALSO IN LOVE WITH (Y/N)?!!"

"VAIT YOU TOO?!!"

The rest of the men woke up from their slumbers and groaned to the sound of Soldier and Spy arguing back and forth. That was when Engie immediately got up to calm them down.

"Whoa whoa! Take it easy! What's goin' on?"

     The Texan waited for an answer, but all he got in return was silence from the two. They just didn't want to admit their feelings for (Y/N), until Engie noticed something glistening in Spy's gloved hand.

     "Hmm...Mind if ah see that, pardner?"

The Frenchman obediently handed over the frame for the hard-hatted friend to view as the other six men joined in. They were madly in love with how (Y/N) looked in the photo. How her (F/C) embroidered dress complimented her shape. How a delicate rose adorned her (H/C) hair curls. How her face looked as pure as an angel from heaven.

"What a beautiful doll..."

"Holy cow...Sweet cheeks looks dazzling..."

"Leetle (Y/N) is pretty."

"Bonnie lassie!"

"Mrph Mrph Mrrrrph!~"

"Bloody beaut'..."

"Meine wunderschöne Prinzessin..."

Hearing what they just said, all nine mercenaries glared daggers at each other. Hints of jealousy became evident on their faces. Well in Pyro's case, it was difficult to tell with his mask still on; but underneath that exterior, his mouth curled into a frown.

"Don't tell me zhat you guys love my little dove!" Medic yelled. "I got to her first!"

"Ya bloody wanka'! Just because ya kissed her goodnight and gave her a nickname doesn't mean ya officially got a girlfriend!" Sniper argued. "Besides, Oi think sheila will loike a handsome bloke loike me!"

"Non, you imbeciles!" Spy jumped in. "All zhat ma chérie needs is a man of high class with polished mannerisms. Which is me, of course!"

"Negative!" Soldier interrupted. "Cupcake deserves to have a very strong man who will do anything to protect her from maggots like all of you!"

"Mrph Mrph Mrrrrrph! Mrph Mrph!"

Everyone stared at Pyro and tilted their heads in confusion, for they couldn't comprehend his muffled voice. However, only Engie could understand him. He was the closest friend of the fire-obsessed mercenary after all.

"Pyro's right, everyone! We all may be in love with (Y/N), but we shouldn't be fightin' ova' her." The Texan explained as he repositioned his goggles, revealing his emerald eyes. "For now, let's get to know the lady betta' first. There are so many things we want to learn about her. If (Y/N) is not ready for love, we'll have to respect that. But if she does, may the best man win."

The rest of the men understood Engie and agreed with him. Thankfully, the argument ended peacefully just in time as a twisting doorknob was heard.