Chapter 59

It was already afternoon, and Soldier and I decided to explore around the peaceful forest, taking time to enjoy nature at its finest. As summer tanagers chirped sweetly from their nests and a herd of white-tailed deer trotted gracefully in the distance, our new pet raccoon trailed behind us the entire time as we hiked along the grassy hills, trampling down leaves and twigs strewn around. Twenty minutes passed by, and we got worn out from a long trudge. Fortunately, Soldier found a couple of rocks where we sat down for a break near a pristine creek. Lieutenant Bites walked towards a stream of water, drinking some to quench its thirst. That was when the blond American cleared his throat before speaking to me.

     "Hey Cupcake, how about we play a game here?" The gruff mercenary suggested.

     "Sounds good to me, Jane." I agreed. "What game?"

     "Well, I was thinking of hide-and-seek."

     "Oh really? Just like that one time at the park?"

     "Yep!" Soldier nodded. "But this time, you're it first!"

     "Hehe alright then! I'll count to fifty!"

     I stood up from the rock, heading over to a nearby fir tree just to cover my (E/C) eyes. Just as I did, the blond RED teammate immediately dashed somewhere, searching for a nice spot not far away.

     "One! Two! Three! Four!"

     Soldier scanned his surroundings for a place where he could fit. One by one, the mercenary tried hiding behind a couple of trees, or camouflaging himself within elderberry bushes; but alas, none of his ideas seemed to work, for his bright red outfit could get spotted easily in the greenery.

     "Five! Six! Seven! Eight!"

     "Dammit!" He thought to himself. "Cupcake will quickly find me here! This would've been easier if I had the skills of that Frenchie!"

     Knowing that he was running out of time, the American pondered quickly on what to do. Just as he thought that there were no other options, a light bulb went on in his head.

     "Ooh! I know exactly what to do!"

     Before anything, Soldier quickly returned to the rocks near the creek, rummaging through our belongings for something. Once he found and pulled out what he needed, a smile was brought to his face, hoping that his plan would work.

~~~Timeskip by Pyro's Balloonicorn~~~

     "Forty-eight! Forty-nine! Fifty!"

     I finally opened my eyes, turning around to figure where that blond mercenary went. Surveying my surroundings, I noticed Lieutenant Bites sniffing the air, as if he just caught a whiff of something. Maybe he knew where Soldier went? Curious, I headed over to where the critter stood, kneeling down to pet the back of his head.

     "Hey lil' fella," I stroked his soft fur, "think you can help me find Jane?"

     Waving his ringed tail, the forest mammal nuzzled my hand softly before immediately running into the woods. As he disappeared from my sight, I ran after him, speeding like a jackrabbit to catch up.

     "Hey! Wait for me!"

     Passing by thick shrubbery here and towering trees there, I kept moving forward as my eyes were finally focused on the raccoon. Surprisingly agile, Lieutenant Bites quickly climbed up one of the lodgepole pines that stood near the edge of a hillock. Hanging onto the lowest branch, the critter emitted a chittering sound, staring at something in the distance. As soon as I arrived there, I rested my hand on that same tree, catching my breath before observing what the mammal found. Several yards away were dozens of brown mule deer, some frolicking and others grazing in a rich grassland adjoining the forest trees. Such a wonderful sight, for I never saw that many in my life. While distracted, I felt a sudden weight on my shoulder. At that point, I realized that Lieutenant Bites just safely landed on my shoulder, clinging tightly as he chittered and draped his tail around my neck.