Chapter 26

As soon as I got out of my room, I quickly ran into the bathroom to cover up that bruise on my neck with makeup. Hopefully, my father wouldn't remember it from last night. With that taken care of, I immediately went downstairs to find him already waiting for me at the table.

     "Breakfast is served, dear."

     My father had the dining table filled with delectable dishes ranging from fluffy pancakes with fruit toppings to savory seasoned potatoes. My mouth started to water as I looked at all the food prepared before me. All of that reminded me so much of Engie's cooking the other day. Sitting down in a chair, I poured myself a glass of (F/F) juice and filled my plate with my favorite breakfast.

     "I see that you cooked a lot, Dad." I smiled as I took a bite of a blueberry pancake.

     "Well, I know how much you missed my cooking." He chewed on his bacon for a bit before looking at me. "It's been a while since I drove out of town."

     My father and I continued enjoying our breakfast together; but however, little did I know that two of the mercenaries, both cloaked invisible, were watching us from the living room.

     "Hmm..." The Frenchman observed quietly. "It seems zhat (Y/N)'s father has forgotten about the hickey on her neck."

     "Yep. At least Cupcake didn't get in trouble for that." The American heard his stomach rumble as he stayed hidden with his teammate. "Dear god, I'm really starving!"

     "Shut up, Soldier!" Spy whisper-shouted. "Ve don't vant them to hear us!"

     During the next ten minutes, my father placed his fork down after taking last few bites of his homemade omelette. Thinking for a while, he started to initiate a conversation about an interesting topic.

     "So (Y/N)," he looked at me, "please tell me about this Laurent friend of yours. And Dell, of course."

     "Oh? Wait, you also heard about my other friend, Dell?"

     "Yes. Your mother mentioned him on the phone, one time." He answered. "Something to do with some dinner you made the other day."

     I paused for a while, pondering on how I could explain about this. Staying still in a nearby room, Spy was surprised that my father wanted to learn more about both Dell and him; but at the same time, the French mercenary wondered what I was going to say, since he knew that my father wouldn't understand the fact that he, along with his friends, entered their world from a video game. 

     "Well you see, both Dell and Laurent are my...college friends." I lied. "But they were in different majors."

     "Really?" My father raised an eyebrow. "In what?"

     "Dell took up engineering. I can't remember if it was mechanical or electrical. And Laurent took uh...French literature."

     I randomly came up with that last bit, for I was already aware that Spy's background was pretty much unknown to everyone, including his teammates. Somewhere in the adjacent room without my knowledge, a cloaked Frenchman chuckled to himself.

     "Ah ma chère adorable." He smiled as he kept watching me quietly from a few feet away.

     "Let's not forget that moment between you and her father, Frenchie~" The helmet-cladded mercenary teased.

     "Shut up, Soldier!"

     "Wait, did I just hear something?"

     My father turned his head in a direction where voices were heard; but however, he saw no one there.