Chapter 44, The Precious Hybrid

Hanabi's P.O.V

I woke up to the voice of Owl ordering me to get up. It was a bit bleary to see due to the dried tears I spilled last night. I rubbed off the crusty sensation and forced myself to my feet. Crawling out of the tent, the first thing that came into view was Owl and Fox. They looked busy with trying to perfect the plan.

Mongoose on the other side was feeding wood to the growing fire into the pit from last night. They'd already gathered more fish to eat as breakfast.

"You overslept", Owl turned his attention to me as he ordered Fox to go help Mongoose.

"Uhh sorry", I attempted, fidgeting with my foot. I was busy self-inflicting the wounds of the past.

"Don't worry about", he said in a monotone, then strutted away, "get your proper nutrition and we'll head for the Valley of The End".

"R-right", I said before running off to the nearby river to splash my face with some cold fresh water. It was a refreshing feeling, especially for being in the wilderness. I was a little impulsive with soaking my face that I'd accidentally soaked my bangs along as well.

Annoyed, I brushed away my soaked bangs out of my face and let my skin get caressed by the soft rays that emanates from the sunlight. This was the best moment to take a moment and medicate.

I rolled up my sleeves and enclosed my hand a little to pick up some water from the river. With that, I splashed the water on top of my head and with my fingers I run my fingers in a backward motion. Slicking back every fallen strand of my hair including my bangs.

It was such a refreshing feeling. Feeling a bit optimistic for the future, I rose up and head back to the camp. There at the camp, Owl was still sharpening his blade with a kunai. Mongoose kept leveling the fish into the fire as Fox stuck sticks through them.

Subsequently, three pairs of eyes fell upon at once. Some water still dripped from the loose ends of my hair. Owl had stopped sharpening his sword. Mongoose accidentally dropped a fish into the pit of fire and Fox just stopped doing anything at all.

"D-did you shower in the river?", Fox suddenly asked. Once my mind registered his question, my cheeks glowed red.

"No-", I sternly said, feeling awkward and speechless. Why are men so like this?

Mongoose nudged him in the rib. Owl cleared his throat in attempts to flip the subject.

"Right, so let's finish up eating and we'll wait for Pika to be back", Owl addressed.

I simply nodded and took a seat on the fallen tree branch. Fox had extended out his hand to give me the cooked fish, which I hesitantly took.

Damn these men. Of course I had to get stuck with people like Fox. I bit into the freshly cooked fish and let the taste warm up my tastebuds.

After the four of us finished eating in utter silence it was time to take down the camp and set water on to the fire.

Owl had remained intact in his place as the rest of us did all the work. I turn to him and ask, "Pika should've caught up by now", I say when I finished doing my part of the chore.

"Yeah I know, I guess we'll let her catch up to us as we proceed with the mission", Owl sighed then put his sword away in the sheath.

"Fine"

When our location finally looked like no one had camped there overnight, we finally felt confident enough to pursue the mission. And so we hopped from tree to tree, our stamina was high.

Occasionally, I'd look back over my shoulder to check whether Pika was anywhere in sight. As expected, I wasn't able to detect her chakra or presence. I simply sighed and resumed pursuit of the mission ahead.