Chapter 86, Hopeful Words

I don't know if it's the hair or the eyes or even the entire aura, but Sakura was looking at me, thinking that Sasuke was right in front of her. I took in a heavy breath and treaded closer towards the petite girl.

Her eyes were wide momentarily before they shrunk when she realized the stress marks and the long hair that differentiates me from Sasuke.

Her eyes...she's been crying...

"Hey there", I say as gently as possible as I kneel down on one knee so she doesn't feel menaced by my hovering body. Sakura simply stared back at me, her green colored eyes scrutinized every detail of my face.

"Do I remind you of Sasuke?", I gently ask, making sure to keep that soothing tone of voice. Sakura looks at me skeptically before nodding with her head.

"Would you still want me to teach you Genjutsu, Sakura?", I inquire politely.

Her lips part for a moment and I thought she was going to say something. But she simply nodded with her head again, making me breathe out an exasperated sigh.

Involuntarily, my expression saddens as I look back into those emerald eyes.

"I miss my brother", I truthfully say, making her tense up as she darts her gaze elsewhere, "do you miss him too?", I question, catching her attention and looking directly in her eyes.

Her eyes sparkle with affection, which earns a scoff from me. I smile a little widely and place a hand on the top of her head.

"I see", I remark, earning a momentarily gasp from her, "you like my brother", my expression softens again and my remark makes her blush.

She darts her gaze elsewhere and tips her head low.

"It's okay", I assure, making sure to keep the smile plastered, "Sasuke and Naruto are strong, they'll be alright".

"I'm sure Sasuke feels the same way...", I add.

At this remark, her head jerks up instantly only for her to be met with my genuine smile. Then, my eyes broaden when she finally uttered,

"R-really?", she croaked out in disbelief, which tugs at my heart.

From my peripheral vision, I see Shikaku tense at the fact that she'd just spoke.

"Sakura, dear, if you remember anything about last night's incident then please tell us, this could save Sasuke and Naruto's life", I look at her with furrowed brows as I hold my breath.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and hoped that she'd start talking soon.

There's no time to waste...anything could happen to them...

"Sakura please...", I plead, loosening a breath.

She looked a bit taken a back by my request, then her expression altered into a more determined one, before she began to divulge.

"We were off to spend sometime in one of the other training sites when Kabuto suddenly appeared", my eyes broaden and I whip my head over to Shikaku, whose expression mirrored mine. He quickly treaded over and remained silent, gesturing for her to continue.

"He wasn't wearing the usual Leaf headband", she said, which made my eyes flow back to Shikaku.

"A spy for another village", Shikaku read my mind.

We knew better than to ask her to describe the headband, instead, we motioned for her to resume the outcome of events.

"...at first, we didn't think much of it until he began attacking us. Sasuke was exhausted already as he and Naruto fought him off. I tried to use some of my Genjutsu on him, but my efforts were futile".