Chapter 2, The Flaws of Life

Damn it! I'll never know what they were talking about! I bite my lip hard enough to bring myself back to reality and I've exhausted myself already, but I can't get discovered.

Focus, Hanabi
Concentrate, Hanabi
Breathe, Hanabi

"There's someone near this clearing", the Uchiha boy says.

"Don't let them get away!", the masked man orders.

"I won't", Uchiha boy assured.

Come on! Come on!

My efforts resulted in nothing, but utter failure. I cursed myself further and contemplated whether I wanted to run. My weight gave in and I crawled behind the tree. There was no way I could run in my current exhausted physical state. The air went silent all of a sudden, but I still had my breath held tightly. My eyes didn't blink as I witnessed a shadow figure appear before me out of nowhere. Eyes wide, it felt like I couldn't muster up a single scream.

It was Uchiha boy. His expression mirrored mine once our eyes connected. His eyes widened in shock as well, having recalled me from Lord Third's office. It took him a moment as well to register the sight of me and his mouth parted slightly. He was in shock just as I was, his eyes twinkled as the luminous light danced upon them. It was like he suddenly snapped out a trance because then his expression altered. Then his finger slowly went to his lips and fear overwhelmed me.

He was going to use the FireBall Jutsu, an Uchiha's signature Jutsu. My eyes sparkled in the dead of night almost pleadingly, as I awaited for what was to come next...

"Shhh", was the only thing that came out of his mouth. I was dumbfounded by this current situation, but I pressed my lips together and obliged him. His eyes seemed sincere, and he disappeared back to the clearing where he met up with that man again.

"Ah, it was just a rabbit", Uchiha boy assures and I couldn't help, but think how silky smooth his voice is. Calm, but haunting . The masked man remains silent for a moment then answered, "If you say so, this concludes tonight's meeting". I hear them intently as I hug my knees and try to make my presence undetectable. Moments later any sign of the masked man's chakra had disappeared, leaving only Uchiha boy standing alone in the clearing.

I rose and emerged from behind the tree, Uchiha boy's eyes found mine once again and we fell silent.
I can't help, but feel like I've intervened with something that's not my business and for that, I felt guilty.

I decided I wanted to break this awkward silence by saying, "Uchiha boy...I didn't mean...to eavesdrop..."

"The name's Itachi Uchiha", he answers in a monotone, a hint of a smile placed on his lips. It took me a moment to register his name and wondered if I ever heard of him.

"You're Itachi Uchiha??", I gasp, while pointing at him, "you're the youngest member to ever join the Anbu!!".

"And you are?"

"Hanabi, Hanabi Namikaze", I respond in a somewhat low voice, still astonished at the fact that I'm in his presence.

"You're Hanabi Namikaze?", Itachi Uchiha's eyes lit up, a full on smile on his face, "Lord Danzo and the Elders as well as Lord Third had so much to say about you when I visited his office to report on my mission".