Chapter 33, Thank You, For Everything

Hanabi's P.O.V

"He's Lying..."

The butterflies whispered?

I was left wide eyed, my breathing had heaved once again.

What's going on?

"He's Lying, Hanabi"

My head jerked sideways as I observed the white winged creatures who just so happens to miraculously...talk?

"Hanabi is something wrong?", Lord Third inquired, snapping me out of my trance.

"N-no..", I gulped down and looked at him.

"Your parents were remarkable shinobi during The Third Great Ninja War".

What?

I had to discreetly trace the tip of The Thunder God kunai to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I winced a little when I realized I'd pressed too hard on the blade, leaving me with a cut in my thumb.

Yes, I'm sure this is real. The butterflies are talking to me...

"How can you possibly talk?", I whispered in response, "what does this all mean?"

"We've been watching over you"

"I'll go now..", I addressed in a hesitant voice, my heart was beating rapidly.

I turned around and went about my day, my entire body had quivered. My mind was still unable to comprehend what I'd just discovered.

What the hell?

It was a real task to try and look normal when you've a group of talking butterflies who've been there all your life, monitoring you..

That's not wholesome, that's creepy. Why now anyways?

"Butterflies?", I whispered once I was out of the Hokage's building, I held onto my breath, bracing myself to hear any answer.

"Yes?"

My eyes broadened with shock again, nevertheless I remained composed.

"What did you mean when you said that the Hokage was lying?", I asked carefully.

The whisper in my ear was immediate, sending a shiver down my spine once again.

"He knew your parents, they did fight greatly in the war, but that's not how they died".

My brows creased and I paced up quicker to get somewhere private.

"Are you telling me that everyone, including Minato lied to me?", I demanded, clenching my jaw as the thought crossed my mind.

"Indeed"

Damn it.

"Why?"

"The truth might be unbearable, but that's not the reason why it's been kept hidden"

"Then what is?!", I retort, and feel the boiling anger within me.

"The truth wouldn't only impact you, but the entire village".

"How come?!", I gulp down the rising fear.

Even if such truth exists, how do these butterflies know about it?!

"We can't reveal the truth about you or what happened in the past".

Of course you wouldn't.

I clenched my fist at the thought of what this truth could be. I forced my mind to think rationally and I tossed the idea of lashing out. That'll be unnecessary drama. I decided to ask the only smart question that popped in my mind right now.