Chapter 34, Dark Ambition

Itachi's P.O.V

Her blue eyes stared back at mine pleadingly. I couldn't stop myself from shedding tears. Eventually, her face fell into the crook of my neck and remained buried there. Her weight unbuckled beneath her, which my arms caught her waist protectively.

"Itachi...", I heard her scarce whisper and couldn't stop my eyes from shedding more tears.

"I'm sorry...", was all I could manage before I covered my mouth with my hand. My chest began tightening in pain. When I no longer heard her voice, I felt her stable breath fanning the crook of my neck.

She'd given in..

I wiped my tears away for a second and made sure to prop her flat on the bridge. I regained my composure back and forced my mind to think straight. I took one last look at Hanabi, then I was gone for good.

Today was supposed to be Shisui's day off, but Lord Hokage ushered him to his office, giving him another urgent S-rank mission. The rebellion is happening and as of now only I could stop it.

Danzo had given me a final warning after what Hanabi and I did.

Kill your entire clan and spare Sasuke or we'll eliminate the entire Uchiha clan.

Those words alone have been racing through my head back and forth, making my entirety restless. The Third Hokage had failed. He failed all of us especially the Uchiha clan. Father had announced the meeting on spur of the moment.

Father has the Mangeykō Sharingan and if he swears it upon himself, he'll utilize it to unleash the Nine-Tails. The last thing we need is for a Fourth Great Ninja War to break out.

I have no idea why I even told Hanabi about this. I know I should've left when I went after Sasuke, but I was desperate. Deep down I wished she could help me prevent this calamity, but things have gotten way out of hands now. Hanabi had done enough already.

She'd saved Shisui when my hands were tied, she'd helped Sasuke when I constantly made lame excuses.

I guess deep down I was hoping to find a bloodless solution by telling her about this, nevertheless I knew I messed big time.

Knowing this, my legs had automatically carried me to were Madara and I last met.

Where the whole ordeal with Hanabi had began...

The very clearing where Hanabi and I had our first conversation, how she'd fainted from overdoing her training. How I carried her back home. This is it, I'll hold onto every single one of these painful memories when I leave the village as a branded rouge ninja.

And I accept it, at least I got to know Hanabi in theses few days. My mind had wandered off to Sasuke.

He'll hate me, I'll make sure of it. He'll harbor all the hatred in his heart in hopes of surpassing me one day. When I slaughter my entire clan, I'll make sure to turn Sasuke into the person who'll make me pay for my unforgivable crime.

I won't be worthy of salvation any longer.

What is my fault in this world?

Is it because all I ever wanted was for a war not to happen? For the bloodshed to stop? And yet here I am.

How ironic, that I wanted to stop the bloodshed and here I am now, on my way to slaughter my entire clan.

How is this fair to anyone in the Uchiha clan? How is it fair to me?

Why was I born in a world where I'd never been happy anyways?

Life is born.

Life dies.

Life is born.

And the cycle continues, it continues whether you like it or not.

And maybe the saddest part isn't the fact of facing death, because those who lose faith when they're breathing are considered to be a part of the other side.

I am a part of the other side.

I step into the clearing, my entire body felt numb. I had already, mentally braced myself for the worst. I shouldn't blink twice when I commit this mass murder with cold blood.

My face stunk when a cold breeze brushed against my warm tears, making me wince.

In this moment I only blinked once. One blink was all it took for the cursed Madara Uchiha to appear right before me once again.

From the eye hole in his orange mask I saw his Sharingan. He was an Uchiha without a doubt.

"I see no rabbit is going to disrupt us this time", Madara says in his raspy voice, there was a hint of a wicked smirk beneath that mask.

A rabbit?

My eyes immediately widened in recall and once again I was overwhelmed with my memories of Hanabi.

Of how I lied to Madara that very day, turns out he wasn't as clueless as I thought he'd be.

What am I saying...this is Madara Uchiha we're talking about. He's no ordinary Uchiha. His dark ambition has doomed me to live through this very fateful day.

"Madara", I declare, my eyes still stinking from the warm tears, "I want to join the Akatsuki organization you told me about".

"You know what that means don't you?", he eyes me intently with his Sharingan.

"Yes", I deadpanned, my emotions have gone down the drain completely. I'll make sure to turn off every speck of humanity within me.

It's the only way I can get through what'll happen tonight.

"So you're serious about joining our organization?", Madara inquires, lowering his head and observing me.

"Yes, but only on one condition", I address carefully, having his full attention now.

"And what would that be, Itachi Uchiha?", he questions, his entire aura was not reassuring.

"Help me eliminate the Uchiha clan and leave one survivor"

"And who'll that be?"

I narrow my bloodshot eyes and stress on the two following words, "Sasuke Uchiha".

"Your kid brother?", he asks, his eye unblinking.

"Yes".

"You have my word"

"Do I?", I skeptically ask and narrow my eyes into slits.

"Yes"

Just in case he doesn't stand by what he said I decided to flash him not any Sharingan, but the Mangeykō Sharingan.

"Shall we head off right now?"

"You stole the words right from my mouth", Madara Uchiha remarked.

____________________________________

A/N:- This chapter was short, only because I wanted y'all to get some insight on Itachi's feelings. The next chapter is going to be longer so stay tuned for the real action begins in chapter 35. I'll get to work right away. Also since this is my fan fiction then don't expect everything to go completely like the original story. I'll still stick to elements from the original story but I'll add my own twist to it. Love y'all <3

~A