Chapter 40, It's Been A While...

Itachi's P.O.V

If she says it, she means it...

I'd never believed in such things as miracles. Never was I one to gaze up at the sky like she does and feel utter gratitude. My entire life has been revolving around the clan. I've spent the entirety of my life as a pessimist, longing for something dreamy like peace and goodwill that I thought were never achievable.

And so as we knelt in this very clearing where we first met, engulfed in each other's embrace, everything suddenly felt possible. From the peace I've so hardly thought about to a spark of something I'd never thought I'd feel...

"You smell nice", she remarks, making me part my mouth. I chuckle and rest my chin on top of her head.

I offered to walk her home. Not that she couldn't go by herself, but there was this part of me that yearned to be near her, even if it's to watch grass grow. I made sure to memorize the route to her apartment so that I can occasionally visit.

The chill of the wind had never felt so good. Despite that whole ordeal with Madara I know that he's probably gone by now, since he has other plans.

And while there's so much to worry about after Madara unveiled the shocking truth, there's also so much to be happy about. Madara is now a mutual enemy to the Uchiha and The Leaf village. If all goes well then the Uchiha clan and the Leaf village might put their heads together and finally merge. It just so happens to be possible because I met Hanabi that very fateful day.

No words could describe the gratitude I'm feeling this very moment. Yeah, I was tired and exhausted, but I'm also too exhilarated to get sleep. The coup has been prevented. I'd never imagine I'd say those words. By now, I should've left the Leaf village with everyone's blood on my hands. But that didn't happen.

What did happen was Hanabi and I walking down the village till we get to her apartment. It was so peaceful. I look at the people of the village, thinking how oblivious they are to all that's been happening.

While Hanabi and I were putting our existence on the line, people in the village were just going about their normal day. Our ninja attire was stained with various things. I decided to brush it off since the villagers might just guess we were on some S-Rank mission.

Which we were...

"Listen..."

My head tilts in her direction, a crease forming between my brows.

"If anyone asks about our whereabouts when Madara appeared we'll tell them we were together since it was our day off", she breathes out and shoves her hands in her pockets.

"Together?", I echoed in return.

That seems nice...

"I mean...aren't we..?", I nervously ask, rubbing a hand on my neck.

"What do you mean?", she inquires.

"No, what do you mean by together?", I ask in a steady voice.

"I'm afraid I don't follow...", she whispers, then says, "we spend the day together Itachi".

Ouch...

"Right", I reply and follow her up the flight of stairs which leads to her apartment.

"Tomorrow I have an S-rank mission", she announces, earning my attention.

"What?", I ask, my heart suddenly clenching at what I'm hearing.

"Yeah, lord Hokage appointed me with the mission to investigate Orochimaru's hideout and gather intel", she elaborates, while darting her gaze elsewhere.