Chapter 60, If Only...

"She slipped past your reach, but what you failed to see that night was my looming figure", the deep voice of Madara Uchiha emanated from behind Hanabi, setting off alarms in our heads which were still trying to process what we'd just found out.

He'd appeared out of thin air, catching us off guard.

"What does all this mean?", Shisui gasped, asking the question I was too trembling to utter.

"Itachi?", Kakashi called out my name as if I knew how to elaborate on what my unblinking eyes are witnessing.

How am I even supposed to feel towards all this? Seeing the person I missed and yearned for most for the past four years in a place like this.

I couldn't even utter her name as I gawked at her. How could this be? I saw her fall from the cliff, leaving her final mark embedded in my skin.

"It's quite simple", my unblinking eyes dart to Madara, the memories of our encounters executing before my eyes again, "Itachi", he almost growled, putting me on alert again.

I swallow the lump in my throat, hoping he'll avoid talking about how I was going to join him.

"I witnessed what happened at the Final Valley", Madara informs, "all of it" his words shook my faith right where I stood.

"It was I who caught Hanabi when you passed out from shock".

My head tipped low as I gawk at my hands in horror, unable to form any kind of words.

"Hanabi!", Kakashi calls out, his voice strained with concern, "what's going on? What happened to you?!".

I hear the wicked smirk that emanated from Hanabi as she said, "as much as I'd like to answer that, it's not only my place to tell".

"What are you insinuating?! You died on your S-rank mission-"

"That's what they told you!", Hanabi yelled out, her calm tone of voice suddenly altering as she cut Shisui off.

Shisui stepped back involuntarily, putting as much space between himself and them.

"Hanabi", Madara sternly says, making my head jerk up. With one simple look from Madara, Hanabi had sealed her lips completely, "it's not time for judgement, yet".

"What are you saying?!", Kakashi demanded, his own eyes unblinking, "If you've been alive all this time then why didn't you come back to the village?! A lot of people suffered after hearing about your death, so how could you be so heartless?!", Kakashi bellows, his voice elevating above all else.

"Really?", Hanabi scoffs, skeptical if Kakashi was genuine with what he's saying.

"What?", Kakashi gasped, his emotions deliberately taking over. I tilted my head a little in his direction as he spoke through gritted teeth, "do you have any about the void you left in everyone's hearts?!".

"And do you have any idea about what I've endured these past four years?!", she yelled back just as hard, making my chest clench at her words.

"What?", Kakashi gasps, letting what she'd said sink in. His eyes were sternly on her as he inspected everything about her that has changed. Her short blonde hair was now dull, long and lifeless. It cascaded down to waist-length. Her face was somewhat impaled, it'd lost all the vibrant colors it once had.

Her eyes were concealed with bandages, making Kakashi question, "why are your eyes bandaged?", to which Hanabi simply smirks and responds, "it's a funny story, but I'm afraid it's for another day".

Her cold words made a chill strew upon me. What is she saying—no, why is she saying such things?

"Did you join this organization?", Shisui demands, his muscles growing restless.