Chapter 69, The Truth

Their eyes fell on an empty threshold because then, I'd leapt in the air like a flash, manifesting chakra in the soles of my feet. Everyone kept looking back and forth trying to comprehend what'd happened. Meanwhile, I was hanging upside down with my feet glued to the ceiling.

"What was that?!", one of the geezers bellowed as chaos broke out suddenly. Their voices heightened as they grew restless.

"Calm down everyone!", Hiruzen Sarutobi barked.

I narrowed my eyes and cut off the flow of chakra from my feet. Amidst the obstreperous voices that filled my ears I braced myself for what was to come.

There, at the center of the massive round table I landed with a thud, capturing everyone's attention including my own clan members. Gasps and wide eyes could be heard and seen as I got up from my landing position.

I wait for everyone to take in the sudden sight of me before I spoke.

"Shall we skip the greetings?", I sternly ask, my eyes roaming around the table until they found father's.

"Itachi!", he shouts as he got out of his seat, "what is the meaning of this?!", he demanded, steam flowing off of him.

"Nothing really", I say through gritted teeth as I dart my eyes to the Hokage, "just personal vendetta".

"How dare you infiltrate our secret meeting?!", Homura Mitokado bellows.

"What's going on here Fugaku?!", Koharu Utatane demands from my father who was rendered speechless.

"Hmph, foolish geezers", I mutter under my breath, earning scowls from them.

"How did he get past the Jonin and the Anbu?!", someone inquired.

I turned in the direction where the voice emanated and declared, "the only flaw in your security system is my existence".

In this moment, it seemed as if though the only calm and composed person in this room was Shikaku Nara. His fingers were laced together as his elbows rested on the table.

I disregard everyone else and focus my attention solely on him. I scrutinized the scars that ran along his face, wondering how many years of experience this man has and narrowed my eyes into slits.

When his eyes connected with mine for the first time he declared what rendered everyone else, including me astonished.

"Are you finally going to reveal what you've kept hidden, Itachi?".

My eyes slightly widen, but I can't be the unsteady one here. Internally, I was screaming, but externally, I kept a look of indifference cemented on my face.

This wasn't the time to overthink this or dissect the situation so I might as well just say what's on my mind and appear neutral.

This man and his brain...he knew damn well that something was wrong...and upon learning that Hanabi is alive, it further confirmed his suspicions.

"I see", I tipped my head low, giving him a knowing smirk, "so you are the mastermind behind this?".

"What's he talking about?", someone whispered, which I disregarded completely as I fixated my attention on Shikaku.

Shikaku narrowed his eyes at me and said, "I knew you needed a slight push, Itachi, so go ahead", his voice altered more serious than before as he said, "the tell us the truth".

The truth...

"You think you're ready for the truth?", I inquire dismissively, my features getting contoured with slight pain. I take a quick look around me, inspecting all the faces present in this room. From the Hokage to the Hidden Leaf council to father, who was in anticipation of what I'll do. Everyone else seemed of no importance to me.