Chapter 80, Tumbling Under The Weight

The tears stunk in my eyes, making them blood-stricken as I stared down at the horror I created on my kid brother's face. He was blankly staring down at complete nothingness, barely making any sound.

I wanted nothing more than to pull him back into my chest and assure him that I'm still the older brother he idolized all his life. His eyes were wide and unblinking, while his mouth remained agape.

"...I will never forgive you", he monotonously said, the horror still evident on his face. His ice old tone made a chill strew throughout me and I felt my voice break as I replied back.

"And I'll never forgive myself..."

Sasuke's shoulders sulk and his breathing heaves.

"Who changed your mind?", he suddenly asks, not meeting my eyes. His question took me by surprise, but the answer was on the tip of my tongue.

"Hanabi...", I whispered, not knowing if I was calling out for her or answering Sasuke's question.

"Hanabi?", Sasuke echoed back in response, "th-the girl who died four years ago?", his head jerks up and his eyes lock with my gaze.

"The girl who was murdered four years ago", I correct him, while sniffing away my nose.

"Murdered?", he repeated. He lowered his head again and began sobbing, "if it weren't for her..."

I slowly crouched down and extended out a hand to place on his shoulder. Sasuke was on alert again and quickly slapped away my hand, making me flinch.

"Why?!", he demanded, his bloodshot eyes pouring out more tears, "why did the Uchiha have to die?".

I gasp momentarily as I heard what came out of his mouth.

"You're still too young to understand, Sasuke", I reply in a soft voice, "don't burden yourself with these things..."

"There you go again", he growls, his shoulders trembling, "always acting like you know what's best for me". His fists clench tightly and I knew he was digging his nails in his palms.

"Sasuke, I know you're angry-"

"I'm not angry", he cries out, "I'm in pain!", he bawls in a brittle voice, producing more stink in my eyes, "you're the person who's supposed to love me more than anything and yet-"

He stopped mid-way when the cries he held back so desperately suffocated him. His fist clenched up to his chest as he started letting out all the cries he muffled.

"It hurts, Itachi...it hurts right here...", his fist tightened on his chest to emphasize the fact that he's in pain.

"Sasuke...", I stammer, my own eyes producing hot tears, "...I'm sorry...I promise you that one day I'll tell you what drove me to this...I'll burden you with this curse when everything gets settled..."

"Why don't you confide in me for once?", he sniveled, his neck curling downwards, "...am I that weak in your eyes?".

"S-Sasuke it's not like that at all...", I attempted, but his trembling body and the grass beneath, which wilted when his tears rained upon it signified my utter failure.

"Will I keep living in your shadow forever?", he deadpanned, making me go stiff.

"No-not at all...Sasuke you're still too young-"

"You joined the Anbu when you were my age", he inserted.

"Sasuke stop..."