No.35

Don't worry. I know it's not your fault.

The minute the imperial squad tumbled into the door way her heart stopped. George Weasley subconsciously grabs her and Ginny, a hand on each girls arm, pulling them back behind him. Harry is stood in the middle of the room, having been doing a demonstration, arm outstretched and wand pointing at Hermione, who has her own wand at the ready to deflect the spell.

Draco eyes the situation. His grip loosening on Cho and face dropping. He knew she was involved with whatever they were doing. He had just hoped she wouldn't be caught in the act. He had been blindly hopeful, knowing she hadn't been feeling well at dinner, maybe she wouldn't have gone. Maybe she wouldn't be there. Maybe she would be say in bed waiting for him to return.

But she was there, head poking out from behind a Weasley twins shoulder, he isn't sure which twin it is, her face isn't the one of worry most faces hold. It's a dirty glare. It's a stone cold expressionless gaze. A set jaw and soon enough a confident smirk.

He watches as Umbridge calls each of the thirty or so students, one by one. Pansy Parkinson is next to him writing a list of the names.

When her name is called she walks with confidence, unlike many of the anxious looking people in the room, she seems almost too brave and he wonders if perhaps she's faking it.

She hasn't looked him in the eye yet. He wonders if she's annoyed at him. He hates her being angry with him, yet, he couldn't really blame her if she was. After all he should be protecting her and he is part of the group about to land her in a load of trouble. Yet, he knows how frustrating he will find it if she is. She had been the one to promise they wouldn't let their opposing loyalties ruin them. They had vowed to not be mad when the other picks their friends and family.

**

He doesn't see her that night. She never returns to the quarters. She's late to breakfast, walking in with her usual smile and laughing happily with Luna Lovegood. They don't have any of the same classes. She, with the rest of Dumbledore's Army, leaves dinner early to go to their detention.

She hadn't been meaning to avoid him. Harry had been so stressed and upset she had stayed to calm him down and ended up falling asleep in the common room. She desperately wanted to talk to him, but with everything else in her day it hadn't been possible yet. That's what she kept telling herself. In the back of her mind though she's worried. Worried he was mad at her for participating, worried he wouldn't want her now he realises the trouble she will continuously get in.

That's why she's shocked. She leaves the large room, Ron walking by her side lets out a large scoff. Most the group are casting dirty looks at Draco Malfoy, who is leant against the wall outside the detention.

"You have got to be kidding," Ron mutters to her. She gives him a pointed look. "You are seriously going to go off and be all romantic with him when you and all your friends were just tortured and he was part of the reason,"

"It's more complicated than that Ronald," Hermione scolds, shooting her best friend a small smile

"Not from where I am standing,"

"you'll understand when you learn how to correctly process emotion," Ginny quips as she walks past.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," Emily informs her friends. Walking over to Draco who has been watching, knowing better than interfering.

They walk in silence back to the dungeons. He holds the door for her as she enters the quarters and walks to sit on the sofa.

He stands  a few feet away "Emily- I-"

"Don't worry. I know it's not your fault," she announces. He breathes a sigh of relief and drops onto the sofa next to her. Pulling his wand out of his pocket. He takes her slightly bloody hand, frowning when he sees that rather than the new words he had expected the old I am not worthy of Draco is deeper, and spotting small drops of blood.

He cleans the cut easily with a flick of his wand, pressing a kiss to the words, before wrapping his arms around her. She leans into his chest, eyes closed and feeling so safe in his arms that she's pretty sure it's the only place she ever wants to be.

"You were so brave," he whispers gently, head leaning on the top of hers.

"I was scared. Didn't want anyone to get properly hurt. That quill, it's fucking awful Draco," she admits. She had put on a brave face for her friends but she had been scared. Scared of something so much worse.

"I'm sorry. Should have stopped them,"

"No. No we agreed we would act on our loyalties and not be angry at each other for it. You're only ever doing what your parents ask of you and I understand that. I'm not angry at you,"

"Yes. My loyalty is to you though, over anyone else, and I should have found a way to keep you safe. Should have got you out of there, made you not go last night or something,"

"Wouldn't have listened," she admits, he chuckles a little at that. She never knew when to just put her head down and follow the rules.

"No. No you probably wouldn't. Might feel less like the worst boyfriend on the planet though,"

"You are no where close to that," she smiles, wriggling slightly in his arms to pull away, lean up, and place a quick kiss to his lips, before settling back into his chest.

"How'd they find out?" She questions curiosity seeping into her town.

"Marietta Edgecombe told Umbridge,"

"Fucking bitch. Hope she enjoys the boils the sneak," Emily grumbles.

Draco listens to her angry groans, a small smile on his face, he was grateful that after it all she still ended up in his arms, she just hoped that didn't change.