No.52

Thought I at least owed you a goodbye

Harry sits cross legged on the floor of the astronomy tower, the evening golden hour shining around him as she enters.

"How are you?" She questions, dropping to sit next to him, her head resting on his shoulder.

"I'm okay," he sighs, dropping his own head to rest on hers. "You should know, he didn't do it. He was lowering his wand. He wouldn't have done it. You should know that. I don't think he's gone, I don't think he's evil and I don't think you've lost him. I think he will come back,"

"Thank you. I broke up with Seb,"

"Why?" Harry questions

"The same reason you broke up with Ginny. It's not the time. Won't even be here next year,"

"You don't have to come with me-"

"We know," Ron's voice interrupts, him and Hermione entering the opening

"When are you going to realise you're not in this alone Harry?" Hermione questions

A silence falls over the foursome. Uneasy and racked with fear. A real and pressing loss in all their hearts.

"You should say goodbye to Draco, you'll hate yourself if you don't," Hermione comments

"What do I even say? Hey Draco we found out your leader has a load of horcruxes so we are dropping out to go find them,"

"Thought you said he was pressured into following him? That he had no choice?" Ron questions

"He was. He wouldn't tell Voldemort he knew, it's just a situation I don't want to put him in,"

"Just say goodbye. If anything happens to either of you, the both of you deserve a goodbye," Hermione prompts.

**

Goodbyes never felt right to Emily. A neat tidy bow wrapping up something that meant so much more. Feelings don't just die one day ready to be put away in a box.

Then again, she supposes its only actually their goodbye if one of them is about to snuff it.

"Come in," Draco speaks quietly, moving aside from the door to allow her to enter his quarters.

She walks in and awkwardly takes a seat on the sofa, he follows suit, sitting down next to her. The gap between then practically nonexistent and she smiles a little. Even now, they practically gravitate to each other.

"I wanted to say thank you, you may well have saved my life the other day,"

"I would never let you be in harms way. Not if I could help it," he smiles gently, his knee pressing against hers.

They've both leaned forward a little and he almost thinks she's going to kiss him until she seems to remember herself, shuffling backwards a little.

"Still, helping me puts you at risk. So thank you,"

"You would do the same," he shrugs "did he tell you? Do you hate me?"

"No. I don't think I'll ever hate you. He told me. It wasn't your fault Draco, you didn't have a choice. I know that. You know that. So does Harry and Dumbledore did too,"

"I'm one of them. You told me to never become evil cause it would break your heart. I'm one of them,"

"You didn't have a choice, you're not a bad person. You will get a choice and then you will decide wether you're evil, until then you have my heart nice and safe, okay?" She questions, her voice oozing sincerity.

"You're not coming back are you? This is good bye. This feels like goodbye,"

"Draco I don't think our story is anywhere near done yet. This is a pause,"

"I'm gonna miss you. Know we didn't speak much near the end, but just seeing you kept me sane, when it was all too much I'd see you across the hall and it felt like I could breathe again," he's slightly teary and she is too and it all feels too real.

"Now, you promise me you'll talk to Blaise or Theo. Do not be all alone,"

"I promise. You swear not to do anything stupid. To try and stay alive and come back to me,"

"I swear," she smiles gently "you should know, that I ended things with Seb. It wasn't the right time,"

"You should know that's the best thing I have heard in months,"

"Stay safe Draco. Stay you, okay?"

"You too. Don't die on me now angel,"

She leaves. He watches her walk out of his life wondering if he will ever see her alive again.

He wishes he had kissed her one last time.