No.90

If she asked her to pick him I don't think she would say no

It was the day before Astoria Greengrass was getting married. Draco had picked up an extra shift at work much to his mother's disapproval and she had opted to go into the city.

She had insisted on going alone, a plan formed in her head. So she arrived outside the joke shop and despite anxiety building in her chest she pushed the door open.

She'd been in the shop before, with a few friends when it was newly opened, but she'd almost forgotten how exciting and joyful it felt. It was quiet, being the mid morning on a Thursday. So she allowed herself a moment to glance around the store.

"Hello, welcome to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Can I help you with anything at all?"

She didn't recognise the girl who spoke to her. She had brown hair that curled in uncontrollable tangles and freckles all over her cheeks. A bright grin on her face and eyes that seemed to shine.

"Is George here?" Astoria questions somewhat awkwardly. She'd never actually met the man she was asking for.

"Yes, he's in the store room. I can go get him, who shall I see is looking for him?"

"Astoria Greengrass," she responds.

The girl nods and heads towards the back of the store. Knocking on the door but not leaving the shop floor. The door is pulled open and Astoria watches as the girl speaks and George looks like he's just been told the queen herself was requesting his company. Looking up and seeing Astoria standing awkwardly. He says something to the girl before walking towards her.

"Hello, I'm George it's nice to meet you," he smiles politely, offering a hand for her to shake.

"Astoria," she returns, shaking his hand before continuing "I was wondering if I could speak to you for a moment. It's about Draco and Emily,"

"Sure. We can go to the office, bit more private," he explains. He heads towards the back and into a small office room, the main one being up in the flat but the downstairs one was where he would take his meetings.

"Take a seat," he offers as he leans on his desk, gesturing with his head to the sofa in the corner of the room. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank you," she replies politely, sitting down on the sofa and shifting slightly awkwardly. Not really sure how to start.

"Is she working today?"

"No," George has a look of mild confusion on his face but is visibly interested.

"Does she love him?"

"Yes," George responds without a second of hesitation.

Astoria knew it was important that she was certain she felt the same way. Certain that she cared just as much. Draco was Astoria's friend and she cared for him even if it was only platonic.

"He doesn't want to marry me and I don't want to marry him. She should know that,"

"Think it's a little too late," George admits

"It's not. Look, I've never seen someone pine after someone else the way Draco does. I don't have many experiences of love in my life. Everyone I know has a loveless and arranged marriage. Draco is the first person I've seen be truly and genuinely in love. He deserves to be with the woman he loves and if she feels even half as strongly she deserves to be with him,"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that they deserve a shot. If she asked him I think he would choose her. I don't just mean let him know she's available I mean ask him. Say the words. Say Draco I want you to leave her and to pick me. I think he would do  it,"

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because they deserve to be happy and neither of them will be if he goes through with this. I can't stop it, my mother wouldn't allow it. But she can. If she asked him to pick her I don't think he could say no,"

"So you are telling me that you want Emily to go to Draco and ask him to pick her?"

"Yes,"

"I can't do that. He says no and I don't think she would ever be able to move past it,"

"You know him right? He goes to family dinner at your house and he's friends with your siblings,"

"Yeah,"

"Do you doubt that he loves her? For even a second do you doubt that he loves her?"

"I think if he loved her he'd have chosen her a long time ago,"

"She never asked. She never said the words. She was so focused on trying to be understanding. All she ever had to do was give him the ultimatum. Make him choose, don't let him think he can have both." She explains her thoughts before standing up. Fishing a piece of paper from her pocket. "We get married at 3pm, this is the address. If she wants to give him the choice then that's how long she has," Astoria states placing the paper down before leaving the office.

George legs out a groan as he stares at the paper on his desk, grabbing his phone and dialling Hermione.