No.53

You're my soulmate

Grimmauld place had lost all of the joy, although that wasn't a surprised. The summer they spent there the happiness had clearly been temporary. All the happiness has seeped from the walls, the life injected into it in the years the order had used it as a base. Instead it was cold and dingey.

"Where are you going?" Harry asks sleepily, sitting up from where he'd been sleeping on the sofa.

"Just to walk around, reckon I might have left a jumper here and if I have I want it back," she admits

"You want me to come?" Harry offers

"Nah, get some more sleep. If a death eater pops out and kills me so be it," she smirks, Harry rolling his eyes at her bad attempt to lighten the mood.

She exits the room, pulling one of Draco's jumpers tighter against her body and carefully toeing up the stairs.

It was a nice jumper. The one she was looking for. Burgundy with soft material making it snuggily, she thinks she probably stole it off a Weasley somewhere down the line, not sure why she's so certain it's Fred's but prepared to bet on it.

She shoves open the door to the room she had spent the summer sleeping in. Two sets of bunk beds that once held her, Hermione and Ginny. She pulls the wardrobe doors open, the jumper isn't there. She wonders if maybe Fred stole it back.

Dropping onto the bed she used to sleep on she sees a copy of sense and sensibility on the bedside table and vaguely remembers speaking to Sirius about the book. It was hard being here, it had been where she had grown close to him and it made her miss him more than usual.

Her eyes survey the room, hands fiddling with the pendant on her neck. Left to her by Dumbledore a silver chain with a small red snake. It was an odd choice, she'd never seen it before, it seemed to almost beat against her chest like it had a life of its own. She kept it on at all times though, in case it's more than meets the eye.

She tugs the draw of the bedside table open, hoping to find the copy of little women she knew she left there, pulling the book out to be met with something that makes her heart skip a beat.

A stack of envelopes all with familiar cursive addressed to her. She'd forgotten almost, that the summer she spent here had been the one she hadn't been allowed to write to Draco. She'd saved his letters in the drawer and right when she needed him here they were.

She picked them up, the pendant seeming to burn hot for a second before returning to its gentle beat.

My dearest Emily,
I hope my letter finds you well and enjoying the first week of summer. I'm sure the Weasley's are keeping you plenty busy. Is it hot there? You mentioned a trip to London with the twins before school broke up, is that still going ahead? Did Ron end up winning his bet with Ginny or has she dyed his hair purple? Has Potter or Granger joined you all?

I arrived in Paris this morning. The city is as beautiful and romantic as ever, I can't wait for us to visit together one day. We got croissants from the little cafe across the street from the suite, I'm not sure if you remember it but I assure you the croissants are to die for. Father hasn't joined us on the trip, apparently he's meeting up with us all when he arrive in Italy. Your father stayed behind too, I assume something will be happening at the ministry. Mother refuses to answer my questions about it so I'm afraid I have no guesses as to what.

We have the le cotillon du partenarait de vie next week, you'll be happy to know that mother has selected my partner to be none other than Astoria Greengrass, it's weird that we met at the very same pageant after third year. I'd much rather dance with you. Maybe the whole thing would make me want to gauge my eyes out less if you were going to be there. Apparently there's three engagements being announced, I doubt any of them will ever feel how I feel about you for each other.

Not to be too sappy but I'm really missing you. I know it's only been a week but it feels like a part of me is missing without you. I found my soulmate and now I have to spend almost two months without her. I really do believe that, that you're my soulmate I mean. Nothing else makes sense to me, how we always seem to come back to each other. Like magnets. I wonder if we will have to part again in the future, I know though that in the end we will find ourselves together. I promise you that sweetheart. We will be together. Our souls are entwined forever, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyway, know that I'm missing you and I'll be thinking of you every second (especially when I eat fancy macaroons from your favourite store). Write soon.

Yours, forever- D. Malfoy

Her tears hit the page and make the ink run a little. She missed him already and wanted nothing more then to know he was safe. She wondered if he still believed they were soulmates. Still believed they'd be together again one day. She reads through the stack of letters, feeling more emotional with each one. They all contain a promise of forever.

"Emily, Ron found something come on!" Harry shouts, poking his head into the room. He stills when he sees her, the mess of letters around her, tears streaming down her cheeks "are you okay?" He questions. She nods, wiping at her cheeks before jumping up from the bed.

"What's he found?" She questions.

Harry tells Hermione, later that night, that he'd found Emily sat amongst old letters from Draco crying. Knowing her best friend, Hermione suspected she had no intention of reading them again but that she would come to a place where the only thing that could comfort her would be his words. She placed all the letters back in their envelopes and stuffed them into her bag for when the day came.