No.74

He's not good enough for you

Draco had grown to love the burrow. It's cosy atmosphere and the way it radiated love and happiness. He looked forward to the fortnightly dinner and enjoyed feeling like part of a real family.

That didn't mean he wasn't concerned as he sat next to an empty chair with Hermione on his other side. Emily hadn't arrived at dinner but Molly didn't mention it so he assumed she had let the motherly figure know.

"So  Molly, you can definitely come on Sunday to go dress shopping?" Hermione questions

"Yes of course dear," Molly smiles excitedly.

"And I'm going to come and then go back to school Monday morning. McGonogall has said that is fine," Ginny grins happily

McGonogall seemed to allow Ginny to live most her weekends at home, she stayed at Harry's most weekends and some week nights using floo powder to go between home and school. Draco wonders if it a perk of dating Harry Potter or if maybe McGonogall realised that people needed their loved ones to feel sane.

"Great and then obviously Emily and my mother," Hermione grins excitedly.

"Em's at the shop," George comments, his mouth full of pot roast.

"You'll give her a day off to go wedding dress shopping with her best friend," Molly scolds

"I'm supposed to be seeing Angelina in the-"

"I don't care George. You give the girl a day off. She works ridiculous hours,"

"She asks for them," George defends.

"You'll find I booked Sunday off a month ago," Emily's voice calls. Draco looks up, suddenly a lot more interested in the conversation.

He takes her in and immediately is even more confused. She's overdressed for the meal. Wearing a green dress and a pair of heels and she crosses the living room from the fire, clearly having used the floo network to come. She's brushing soot off her shoulder as she walks.

"You look nice," Draco comments, she flashes him a bright grin, a blush on her cheeks as the group eye the couple.

"You want any food dear?" Molly questions, breaking the trance Emily and Draco fell into so easily when they met each others eye.

"No thanks Moll, I've already eaten. Just wanted to come and say hello to everyone," Emily smiles in response "Gin! Haven't seen you in like a month!" She grins happily, the younger girl jumping up from her seat to hug her.

She eventually arrives at her seat, settling down next to Draco.

"How bad was it for you to be free to come here again at 8:30?" Ron questions a smirk on his face

"Leave her alone Ronald," Molly scolds, glancing to Arthur who is preoccupied staring at Draco and his reaction.

Draco's reaction is one of confusion. Looking across the group and trying to piece together whatever it is that has made Emily late, the whole rest of the group seeming to know. It's noticed immediately that she isn't making eye contact with him and quickly attempts to change the topic.

"Could bill and Fleur not make it?"

"No, Bill isn't feeling great," Molly explains. The tension is evident Draco staring at Emily in silence and Emily clearly trying to divert the attention.

"And Percy is stuck at work," Arthur adds, noticing the situation at hand.

"Where were you?" Draco questions. Finally snapping out of his silence.

"Been at work all day," Emily smiles before turning back to Harry and Ginny "so big announcement, off you go,"

"Oh no I wanna watch this play out," Harry grins. Ignoring Hermione reaching across the table to slap his head.

"You don't get that dressed up for work. Not that you don't look beautiful, you do. And you've already eaten," he could make a good guess at where she's been but he's hoping for anything else.

"A regular at the shop asked me out this week and I was on a date," Emily speaks quietly. The Weasley's are never this quiet, she groans internally that now is when they choose to be silent. Although it was probably because her exchange with Draco is much more entertaining that talking about Ginny's herbology project.

"Who?" Draco demands. He has no right to be angry and he knows it but that doesn't stop him from feeling sick and hurt and ready to hit someone.

"Maxwell Anderson," she speaks in a clear voice. Draco is silent for a second, racking his brain to work out who the boy is.

"Three years above us at school. Hufflepuff. Dated Daphne?" Draco questions

"That's the one,"

"He's not good enough for you," Draco states matter of factly.

"You'd say that whoever it was," Emily defends

"And I'd be right,"

"Clearly he's right about Anderson, I mean you went out at six and are back here for eight thirty," George quips

"Actually we were having a lovely time, he's a healer and he was on call and had to leave when one of his patients-"

"He's a healer? As in works at St Mungo's where I also work?" Draco demands.

"You shouldn't have said that," Ron smirks from his chair

"Ronald!" Molly scolds

"Yes he does. Not that it matters. Anyway, he had to go back to work and I'm meeting up with him later when he's cured the man who's nearly dead," Emily states

"You are not," Draco speaks

"You can't tell me what I do and don't do Draco,"

"You and I always hang out after fortnightly dinner," he defends hotly.

"Since when?" Emily scoffs

"You often do," Harry agrees, eyes darting between Draco and Emily

"Why don't you two discuss this somewhere private," Molly offers

"Mum! This is the best thing I've seen all week. Go on Draco since when?" George prompts

"Since always,"

"Well we didn't last time,"

"I had to go and see Astoria!" He exclaims

"Oh! so you can blow off our unofficial hang out for a date and I can't?"

"No-yeah- that- I-" he splutters

"Draco pull yourself together," Ron encourages, Hermione elbowing him although her eyes are moving from Emily to Draco eagerly.

"It's different,"

"What because it's me who has someone in their life and not your for once?"

"Emily," Draco sighs "I don't want to argue with you over this. I'm sorry for trying to tell you what to do. I just don't think that Maxwell is good enough for you,"

"I second that," Harry shrugs rolling his eyes at the sharp glare Emily sends him.

"You know what we should do? Let Maxwell prove himself. He can come come to dinner this time in two weeks," George smirks

"No he can't. I'm not bringing a boy I've been seeing for two weeks to dinner with my family and my ex boyfriend,"

"But I wanna watch Draco have a breakdown," Ron groans. Ignoring Draco's sharp glare.

"When the time is right we can meet Emily's new boyfriend," Molly scolds before turning back to Draco and Emily "are you two okay? Still friends?"

"Yes. He's a prick but yes," Emily groans, rolling her eyes when Draco presses a kiss to her cheek and attempting to hide her blush from the group.

"Now Ginny and Harry your announcement," Molly prompts, moving the conversation away from the pair who sit sneaking glances at each other for the rest of the meal.