No.50

I care about you

Emily sits at the Ravenclaw table, tucked under Seb's arm and half listening to him talking about his brother's new job.

Her eyes are trained on the interaction between Harry and her friend Katie Bell from quidditch, who had returned from St. Mungo's.

"so anyway he reports to- is that Katie Bell?" Seb questions, craning his neck to see better.

"Yeah. I'll be back, I'm going to go say hi," she smiles, pecking his cheek gently and standing up.

Harry is leaving when she arrives next to her friend

"You'll be wanting to quiz me too I guess?" Katie snaps

"Quiz you? No Kates I just wanted to see how you were feeling,"

"Oh. Sorry Em, Harry kept asking questions and I assumed you'd be the same. I don't remember who it was,"

"You know how he gets, can't let a mystery go," Emily smiles gently, she had a sneaky feeling Draco was involved and she wondered what he had been tasked with doing. "How are you?"

"I'm okay. Harry just followed Malfoy out though, you should deal with that. We can catch up later," Katie smiles lightly.

Emily let's out a sigh before half jogging half walking out of the hall, catching a glimpse of Professor Snape heading into the first floor bathrooms, she follows and her heart practically aches at the sight waiting for her.

Draco is laid on the wet floor, blood covering his body, Snape lent over him and mumbling a spell she assumed was supposed to help. Harry was stood a distance away, mouth wide open and eyes popping out of his head, it was clear he hadn't intended such harm.

"Oh my god, Draco," she's speaking without thinking, dropping onto her knees next to him. His hand moves to reach out for hers and she easily wraps hers around him.

"Em- I- it wasn't-" Harry stutters, struck by his friends tears staining her cheeks.

"Get out! Out Harry!" She screams. He leaves without a word.

**

When Draco groggily wakes up he's tucked in bed, surprised by the bed dipping under someone else's weight next to him. He blinks his eyes open expecting Theo or Blaise, expecting the hospital wing.

He's met by Emily sat by his side, the quarters he once shared with her feeling a lot less lonely with her right there.

"What're you doing here?" He croaks

"Snape thought it'd be better if Madame Pomfrey didn't see you. Said I'd make sure you were okay when you woke up,"

"No. I mean you have a new boyfriend, what are you doing here?"

"I care about you Draco. I will always care about you. You don't get to question that I care about you," she snaps

He sighs. Can't help himself from admitting that it feels nice to know that he has her. He was being difficult, trying to make her admit she still wanted him even though he knew it was unfair. What she said meant just as much.

"Okay," he nods gently, moving his head to lay in her lap. She lets out a sigh, hands running through his hair gently

"How're you feeling?"

"Tired. Drained. Pathetic." He lists

"That all from Harry?"

"No. He's just left me feeling a little achey," Draco sighs gently. Her hand has fallen back to her lap and he reached up and places it back it in his hair.

"Really?"

"Feels nice," he whispers. He decides he can have an hour or two before he gets back to work, however long she'll stay. He doesn't quite understand even now, she would stay forever if he asked.

"How's things?" She asks quietly

"Hard. You?"

"I don't know. Everyone's on edge after what happened at Christmas. Just kind of- waiting I guess. For something. Anything," she admits

"It'll come," he sighs

"I don't doubt it,"

"Don't know when I'm afraid,"

"It's not too late yknow?" She offers, although they both know it's not time yet.

"Emily, if the opportunity comes I will pick you. I will pick what we both know is right. I promise you. But I won't do it if my mother and father will die for my choice and right now that is a certainty,"

"Okay," she smiles gently, he smiles back, before closing his eyes "Draco, can I ask you something?"

His head nods in her lap

"Do you know what my parents are doing with Rosa?" She questions

"She's staying with a friend from Beauxbatons in Paris every holiday until everything has blown over," he explains

"So permanently,"

"Perhaps,"

"She'll be safe though,"

"Yeah. She will,"