No.84

I'm not going to be okay without you

Draco hadn't heard from Emily in a week. She'd sent him a text the next day apologising for calling so late and claiming to not remember what they even spoke about. It was a lie, she could remember the whole thing.

He had dropped by her new apartment, living alone meant she needed a smaller one but she hadn't been there. He'd also called a few times and she had ignored them all.

He wondered if maybe it was a bad idea to seek her out when she was so clearly ignoring her. But he knew he had to do it. He was beyond concerned for her and wanted her to realise she didn't need to feel awkward around him.

He knocked on the door to Weasley's wizard wheezes not expecting to be let in but not wanting to wait until the end of his shift.

"Alright Draco?" George questions pulling the door open and stepping aside to let him in.

"Emily here?" He questions, stepping into the store

"Shooting right too it," George smirks

"Got work in 45 minutes," he explains

"She's in the back unloading delivery. You can go see her. She's been bitching and whining over you being mad all week so it's about time it gets resolved. Save me an earful and I've only got the one,"

"Thanks George," Draco smiles, walking through the shop as George locks the door again, opening not for another hour or so.

He pushes the door into the stock room open and immediately sees her. She's taking boxing telescopes out of a large box and placing them onto a shelf.

"Can we talk?" Draco questions, she looks up slightly shocked.

"About last week-"

"Not about that. It doesn't matter. You were drunk and you called me. It's not a big deal," he shrugs lightly.

"Oh. Right. What's up then?"

"I just wanted to see how you were. You've avoided me like the plague. Didn't even show for Hermione and Ron's wedding pictures thing,"

"Sorry. I just- well I didn't know where we stood," she explains. Draco comes up next to her, taking products from the box and placing them onto the shelves.

"We are fine. Nothing could stop us from being fine," he assures

"Good. Well, how are you?"

"I'm okay. Been busy,"

"I'll bet. Word on the street is your mother and father are still back,"

"Yeah, think they'll be around for a while," he nods. They'd be around indefinitely, his father had informed him it was to ensure nothing set their plans astray.

"I see," she nods glancing at him "and how is work?" She questions casually

"Ridiculously busy, sure you are the same,"

"Yeah, first Saturday of the christmas holiday so it's going to be pretty crazy," she nods in agreement.

"What are your plans for Christmas?" Draco asks casually

"Just at the burrow I should think. And yours?"

"Your mother is hosting,"

"No Astoria?"

"She's coming too. Not her family though," he shrugs awkwardly

"Ah. Well, that'll be lovely. Mother always could throw an event," Emily smiles.

The silence that falls between them is intense. Both of them are thinking about what she said. Both too scared to bring it up.

"Look, Draco, I want you to know you don't have to be worried about me. I'm going to be okay without you. Last week was just-well it was slip up that shouldn't have happened," she speaks.

They've stopped unboxing now. They're stood facing each other. Eyes scanning the other in the hopes to read each other.

"I'm not going to be okay without you," Draco admits

"We'll still be friends. It'll be like now only seeing each other a little less,"

"We both know we aren't just friends right now. We don't sleep together or kiss but we aren't friends. We are respectful of what's to come but we are more than friends. When I marry her it'll be different. It will have to be,"

"I understand. I am okay with that. As long as you're in my life I can be okay with that,"

"I'm not okay with that," he inches closer to her as he talks. "I don't want to be with someone for the rest of my life who isn't you," he continues. Closer by the second. "I don't want to wake up and not have you by my side in the morning. I don't want to see you marry some one else. I don't want to not have you,"

He shocks her when he does it. Crashes his lips to hers. She doesn't react but her eyes shutter closed. He pulls her closer, her chest pressed to his. She pulls away looking at him incredulously

"Did you just kiss me?"

"Yes,"

"Do it again," she demands. He smirks and pulls her back to him. This time she doesn't hesitate for a second.

She kisses back equally hard. Allowing him to press her against the wall behind them, his tongue pushing into her mouth and his hand running up and down her sides. He's desperate to feel her against him, if this is the last time Draco Malfoy gets to kiss Emily Davies he will be damned if he doesn't feel every inch of her body. He needs to be able to remember the feel of her pressed to him or he doubts he'll be able to go on.

"Not what I would call work," George's voice chimes from the door way. Draco stumbling backwards at being caught. "Just came to make sure you knew the time. It's been forty minutes and you said you had work," he explains looking between the two of them.

"Right. Thanks. I'll see you soon Emily," Draco smiles gently to her before walking out.

"It's going to be a busy shift but after we close those front doors you are telling me everything that's going on," George demands, turning on his heel and walking out of the room.