No.60

Don't let go of my hand

He doesn't find her for hours. She's crying silent tears standing next to Hermione in the courtyard. An army of death eaters approaching with Hagrid.

He walks with his head down until he's next to her. Stopping by her side. Unsure what to do. Everyone is silent, watching what is coming.

She doesn't say anything. She just grabs his hand and holds it tight . He squeezes gently and she moves slightly closer to his side. Glancing around he noticed losses. The first one being he can only see one Weasley twin, his heart aches for her, he has no doubt she's heartbroken to have lost someone who was like a brother to her.

"Harry Potter is dead!" The scream makes her heart stop. She is vaguely aware of Ginny lurching forward and Arthur pulling her back. She feels like she can't move.

"Don't let go of my hand. Please- just- don't-" her voice is a whisper, only Draco hearing.

"You're okay angel. I'm here. Not going anywhere," he assures equally quiet.

"Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth you put your faith in me. Harry Potter is dead! And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us...or die."

"Draco!" Lucius calls out.

He feels every single set of eyes on him.

He knows this is the very moment. This is when he chooses between good and bad. Light and dark. He can't make this choice for a girl, he can't make this choice for his family. He has to pick. He's always wanted a choice and here it is .

"Come on Draco,"

"Draco. Come," his mother is speaking in a soft tone that reminds him of childhood.

"It's okay. You can go," Emily speaks quietly.

Draco still doesn't move. Doesn't even breathe.

"Not letting go of your hand," he whispers. He's not even sure she hears until he feels her hand squeeze his gently.

Nobody moves. Everyone waiting. Waiting for him to walk towards his parents but still he doesn't. Still he stays clutching onto her like she's the only good thing left in his life. They have no clue that she is.

Neville Longbottom begins to stagger forward and eyes leave him.

"Well I must say I hoped for better,"

The cackle of laughter feels out of place in such a dark moment.

"And who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom,"

"Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks-"

"I'd like to say something!" The demand shocks everyone. Voldemort seeming to twitch slightly in anger before speaking

"Well Neville, I'm sure we would all be fascinated to hear what you have to say,"

"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone,"

"Stand down Neville!" It's Seamus Finnigan shouting

"People die every day. Friends. Family. Yeah. We lost Harry tonight, but he's still with us. In here. So's Fred and Remus, Tonks, all of them. They didn't die in vain. But you will. Cause you're wrong. Harry's heart did best for us. For all of us. And it's not over."

She can't quite believe her eyes when Harry's body jumps from Hagrid's arms. A shocked laugh escaping her. Draco launches forward, dropping her hand

"Potter!" He shouts, flinging his wand to Harry who catches it with ease.

Then it starts again. The running. The shouts of spells. The constant fear.