No.36

Just come to bed

Draco was exhausted. He was practically a dead man walking and it was starting to really worry his girlfriend.

She watches with a worried gaze, as he works tirelessly at the desk in their room. Hermione is sat next to her on the sofa, Draco insisting he was perfectly happy for her to have her friends over.

The girls were studying and taking small breaks to chat amongst themselves, Draco on the other hand, was working like there was no tomorrow, he had been for the past month and she was worried.

"I'm going to go, it's already nearly 1AM," Hermione informs, standing up and stretching, before placing her books into her bag.

"You need help getting back?" Emily questions, hating the idea of her friends getting in trouble in case it gets back to Umbridge.

"I have the map," Hermione smiles, pulling the paper from her pocket. "Sleep well," she smiles to her friends

"And you," Emily grins watching as she heads towards the door

"Night Malfoy!" Hermione calls

"Night!" He calls back, as she slips through the door.

"I'm going to go to bed," Emily informs, placing her text book on the coffee table and walking over to Draco, he's hunched over the desk.

She places her hands on his shoulders, rubbing gently and she feels him untended under he touch, he lets out a sigh, leaning back to rest his head on her.

"Goodnight angel," he sighs, taking one of her hands from his shoulder and pressing a kiss to the palm.

"You should come to bed too, you've barely slept recently," she suggests gently

"Gotta finish revising for potions," he mumbles.

She hated how bad it had got. All he seemed to do was study for his O.W.Ls and it worried her, he seemed to be constantly stressed and she wanted to just force him to breathe for a minute.

"You have been revising like a mad man lovie, please, just come to bed,"

"Gotta finish this chapter," he sighs. He wants to give in though. To her gentle voice and warm body. Wants to go up the stairs and have her curled up in his arms and just sleep.

"I'm worried about you Dray, you've barely stopped recently. You need to give yourself a minute to breathe,"

"Tomorrow," he shrugs

"Draco-"

"Promise you. Tomorrow, you and I will have a picnic down by the Great Lake. Won't mention studying once, and I promise at least three hours," he suggests.

She sighs a little. She would love and afternoon by the lake with her boyfriend but doesn't want to get her hopes up, it isn't often he's like this but with all the stress of studying he had been neglecting their alone time a little. She understood but it was a little shit.

"I promise you angel, and when I have I ever broke a promise?"

"Okay. You'll be up to bed soon?"

"Yeah," he agrees. She nods, pressing a kiss to his cheek before heading upstairs.

She sits up in bed, writing a letter to send to Molly that she has intended on writing in the morning, but she wanted to stay up until Draco got into bed.

He's true to his word. Climbing up the stairs around half an hour later. She places her quill and parchment down and watches as he rids himself of his tshirt, dropping onto the bed in just his low hanging black joggers.

"You are overworking yourself," she states as he crawls up the bed and under the covers next to her.

"I know," he mumbles. Opening his arms and feeling like he can breathe again when she curls into them. For a second he can pretend none of it is happening and just focus on the only truly important thing to him. The girl in his arms.

"So why do it? You know how I worry, you're going to burn out," she continues. He sighs, he hates that with everything going on in her life he is adding to her pile of things to stress over.

"My parents wanted three kids. My mother always wanted three but she had some problems in child birth. They had to perform a tubal ligation and so she couldn't have anymore kids. She was distraught at first. Hated me for the first three months, but then she realised if she only had one kid then she wanted that kid to have all the good things in life. I'm the only heir to the Malfoy estate, she's done everything for me. I don't want to let her down," he explains, finding comfort in the way her hand combs gently through her hair

"You could never. I know Narcissa and there's nothing you could do that would let that women down,"

"But father-"

"Your father can never be let down by you. You're his son. He should support you, and love you and respect you. I know it's hard, but you are not going to disappoint them, don't think you could if you tried," she cooes.

She holds him that night, while he whispers to her about not feeling good enough. She wipes the tears from under his eyes while he admits he's worried about how little choice he will have when it all happens. She kisses his head when he falls asleep in her arms and she can't help but feel that it's her duty to try and make him happy, even if the happiness will only be fleeting.