No.62

Sit with me

"I'll see you after class," Emily smiles to Hermione, their first week back has begun and slowly Hogwarts was beginning to feel as magical and innocent as it used to.

"Okay. I'll meet you here," Hermione returns before watching her best friend as she walks into her potions class room.

Emily is quick to find a seat at an empty table, avoiding having to speak to anyone, not really in the mood. That is until she sees a familiar head of blonde hair enter.

He looks uncomfortable. This was nothing new. He clearly felt out of place amongst the students. Only really talking when he was happily surrounded by his friends. No one really cared about what happened, after all they witnessed him choose the school when it came to it, he still felt more guilty than he could describe.

"Draco, sit with me,"

He smiles at her familiar voice, looking up to see her at an empty table in the back corner. He approaches, sitting down next to her and immediately feeling more comfortable than he has in a while.

"Haven't seen you properly since we got here," she comments.

She desperately wanted the gap between them to vanish but he seemed adamant on pushing her away most the time. Often avoiding her due to his commitment to Astoria.

"Been busy. How are you?" He asks gently, the minute he's around her he can't bring himself to be reserved, maybe that's why he can't let himself be around her as much as he wants.

"I'm good. Feels weird to be back though,"

"Kind of nice," he speaks quietly, head tilted to the side slightly to try and see her better, wanting to gage her reaction.

"Yeah. Wish that Harry and Ron had come back with us. Feels weird to go so long without them," she admits. Her group were their very own little support mechanism.

"They aren't visiting at all?"

"Sure they will, Ron's with 'Mione now and Harry's with Ginny so I guess I'll be fifth wheeling. Unless George comes with them,"

Draco practically chokes on his spit. Unable to press the raging jealousy down

"You and George?"

"What? No. Shit. Christ. No. He's like a brother to me, just meant that when they all start making out I'll have someone to talk to,"

"Right. Makes sense,"

"What about you? How's things? Last time we talked you were with Astoria?"

The awkwardness is visible but no one seems to be minding the pair of exes any mind.

"Not dating or anything. Just- well- we will be married so not really much point in dating anyone else,"

"Right. No point at all,"

He's ready to question why she sounds so annoyed, although he could probably guess, but Professor Slughorn walks in and the room silences to allow him to begin.

**

"Is it true you are sitting with Draco in potions?" Ginny questions as she sits at the table with Emily and Hermione.

"We are friends,"

"He broke your heart," Ginny responds hotly

"He's right. We start dating and I get even more attached and then we have to break up so he can marry someone else. That'll hurt worse,"

"Or he could just not marry Astoria," Hermione comments

"He doesn't have a choice,"

"He never seems to have a choice. It's a shame cause maybe one of these days he'd actually pick you," Ginny snaps. She always was protective.

"I'm fine. We are friends. I understand. I'm not upset or angry so you guys don't need to be,"

"You cried yourself to sleep over it multiple times. Clearly you're upset," Ginny comments, she looks like she's about to continue but silences herself when Seb sits down next to the girls. The houses mingled more than they used to. It started with siblings not wanting to be separated and now the dinner hall was kind of a free for all.

"Hey all," he smiles gently. He had been spending a lot of time with the girls as none of his friends had opted to return to hogwarts.

"Hey Seb, how was Herbology?" Hermione questions casually.

Emily tunes out the conversation, instead opting to watch Draco and Theo as they laugh together about something. He looked at peace. Shes un-phased when he looks up and sees her staring, shooting him a smile that he returns before they both turn back to their groups. The small gesture made her feel better, like perhaps they really would be friends.