No.61

If you were going to be there I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing

"It feels so fucking weird to be back here," Emily admits.

It's the first time she's seen Draco since the battle. He had practically disappeared from the face of the planet for two months, and then she received a letter inviting her to the Malfoy Manor.

"Can imagine. Last time you were here wasn't so fun," he comments.

They're both sat in the living room. A little too far apart from each other but neither of them quite knows where they stand.

"So, where have you been?" She questions slightly awkwardly.

"Paris mainly. With Astoria," he admits, scratching the back of his neck slightly awkwardly

"Oh. Wow, that is new information,"

"Yeah."

The silence that settles over both of them is suffocating.

"Where have you been?" He questions

"Living with the Weasley's. Honestly it's been really hard, without Fred I mean. I know there was too many losses to count but, well, he was practically a brother."

"Yeah. Sorry that you lost him, I know you two had a bond,"

He wasn't quite sure when things became so awkward between them. Perhaps it was the kissing her and then disappearing for months. Maybe the subtle name drop of his betrothed. Possibly it was that he knew she had been waiting for his return, thinking that they would be together again. Christ, he wanted to be together again.

"So, what are your plans? For the future I mean," she questions, shuffling slightly in her seat.

"I don't know," he admits, albeit awkwardly. He wanted to follow her wherever she went. Wanted to know he would still get to see her everyday even if he couldn't be hers. Wanted to know he'd be able to make sure she was safe. "You?"

"Hermione and I are going back to school. We wanted to complete seventh year, never really had the chance. Besides that place is my home, I would much rather my last memories there weren't a war,"

"I heard a few people we're doing that,"

"Yeah. Someone said that Theodore Nott is doing it. Dean Thomas is coming back too, and Seb,"

"You still speak to Seb?" He has no right to feel the raging jealousy in his gut.

"A little. He wrote to me a couple of weeks ago," she explains.

"Oh, well that's nice," he's practically stuttering trying to contain his anger and raging jealousy.

He notices when he looks at her, that despite clearly feeling tense she looks more at ease than he's seen her in years. Gone are the dark bags under her eyes, replaced by a gentle tenderness to her movements, she moves like she has time. He hasn't seen her to that in a while.

"You could come yknow? Back to school,"

"If you were going to be there I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing," he admits, a soft smile ghosting on his face at her blush.

"Look, Draco, I know things between us got weird but I would really love if we could be in each other's lives,"

"My situation hasn't changed. Mother has arranged for me to be married,"

"I know. I understand."

"Friends?"

"Yeah, friends sounds good," she replies, a soft tone.

"I'm glad. Been going crazy without you," he admits

"It's been a while,"

"Too long," he nods gently. "I heard George will  be reopening the store soon,"

"He wants too. Think it might still be a while," she admits

"I can imagine. Must be hard,"

"Yeah. He's working on some ptsd stuff right now. Reckons enough of us need it. It was Fred's idea, way back when he made me a potion to help me sleep after Sirius,"

"Might have to finally stop in there,"

"You not doing so good?"

"No. I'll be fine though, times the best healer apparently,"

"That's the word on the street," she hums in agreement. "Where are your parents?"

"Father has retired from the ministry. They're living in the apartment in Paris. Left me the manor. It's a fresh start for them apparently. Think they just like that it's closer to your mother if I'm honest. They're worried about her,"

"My father?"

"He- well-"

"At hogwarts?"

"Yeah,"

"Oh. Well, that's a- shame?" Her voice is more a question than a statement

"I'm really sorry. Thought you knew,"

"No. Is Rosa okay?"

"Pretty sure her exact words were good riddance,"

"Well I didn't want to be the one to say it,"

The rest of the evening passes pleasantly, she eventually apparates back to the burrow. Ginny is expecting her to return home engaged and even Arthur is surprised to hear that they had settled on friendship. She didn't tell them Draco made the decision for the both of them. She would have him in her life in any capacity over none.